Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Is it correct or needs some corrections.

I phoned Dr. John to inquire about the health of Mrs. Tania and her operation date. I am surprised to know that the Dr.John has not met her personally nor has given any time frame for her operation. However he met her niece yesterday.Her nice showed him the medical report of her ant and informed that her ant is out of town and will be available for her check up in a few days.

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
I phoned Dr. John to inquire about the health of Mrs. Tania and her operation date. I WAS surprised to know that Dr.John HAD NEITHER met her personally nor given any time frame for her operation. However he met her niece yesterday. Her niece showed him the medical report of her aUnt and informed that her aUnt WAS out of town and WOULD be available for her check up in a few days.

That's my suggestion.

Last edited:

meela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks It is really helpful for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it correct or does it need correction?

I phoned Dr. John + surname to inquire about the health of Mrs. Tania + surname and her operation date. I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was surprised to [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] find out that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Dr. John + surname has not met her personally nor has he given any [STRIKE]time frame [/STRIKE] timescale for her operation. However, he met her niece yesterday, [STRIKE]Her nice[/STRIKE] who showed him [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] her aunt's medical report [STRIKE]of her ant[/STRIKE] and informed him that her aunt is out of town [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but will be available for her [STRIKE]check up[/STRIKE] checkup in a few days.

We use the surname after "Dr" or "Mrs", so "Dr John" and "Mrs Tania" wouldn't be correct. You need to either add the surname to the first name, or simply use "Dr/Mrs" + surname.

Note that "checkup" is all one word when it's a noun. As a verb it's "to check up [on]"

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a side note: In the US (and I believe in the UK as well) we don't usually use titles and first names.

If the doctor's name is John Smith, he is Dr. Smith, not Dr. John. (There are exceptions to this: a children's doctor might be called "Dr. Mary" to make it friendlier for children.)

If the patient's name is Tania Jones, she is Ms. Jones or Mrs. Jones, not Mrs. Tania. (Again, exceptions do exist. But it's not the norm.)

If this is the standard where you live, that's fine, but it's something I thought you should be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.