Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Could some of you help me clear away these fuzzy spots please?
No matter how hard I tried, my efforts were to no avail.
Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Discovery
/////////////////////

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtfb2_Huuo

?????(00:10)Of course, there was nothing wrong for him. Probably he never had a _______(?) before.

(00:20)For us, of course, it was everything was wrong.
-----------------

(00:28)While the medical crews tended to the starving prisoners, other teams were busy shipping out rockets and equipment.

(00:36)The Middleburg area was designated to become part of the Russian zone. The Russians were approaching fast so they needed to work quickly.

(00:44)The Americans took what they could.

???????(00:46)When the Red Army arrived, it was still plenty of material for them to cart(?) away.
/////////

(03:22)When the agents began dismantling the reactor, they were shocked to discover the uranium was missing, too.

(03:30)They quickly rounded up the remaining German scientists for questioning.

-----------------
?????(03:36)For _______ services(?), ________________(?)

(03:40)They confessed that they have a stockpile of uranium and they've buried it. Hope that they can hide it. Keep it away from us.
-----------------
//////////////////

( 09:15)The pilots said that cockpit surrounded by rocket fuel was not a plane for a faint-heart.

(09:27)More than 10 German pilots had died attempting to fly the 163.

(09:32)Most were killed during takeoff or landing.

??????(09:36)But the dangers to worry Eric Brown

-----------------
???????(09:40)I was in ______ ________ ________(?)

(09:43)And there was no body around to stop us. That was the real thing.

(09:48)We had our opportunity. We did it when the country was in the state of chaos. There was no real authority around and we could get away with what we were doing.

(10:04)No. Actually it was ear-splitting(?).

??????(10:08)If one felt, as you said, this was a aircraft rocking under this power. It was like unleashing an atom bomb, I think.

(10:21)And I think one has to say you feel a little apprehensive about what was lying ahead.

??????(10:31)But the temptation was huge to have a ______ to think.
-----------------

(10:37)Brown became the first and only Allied pilot to fly the rocket powered plane.

-----------------
(10:49)It was rather like being in charge of a runaway train.

(10:54)I felt I've never had this feeling with any other airplanes.

???????(10:58)It was a jump ahead a ______ of time. I was catching up with it. It really took your breath away.

(11:12)Having assess the plane and capture the man who designed it, British were now ready to exploit the new rocket technology.

(11:21)But the Americans and Russians also got their hands on the 163, shipped them home to begin their own trials.
////////////////////

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
?????(00:10)Of course, there was nothing wrong for him. Probably he never had a _______(?) before.
"Probably he never had it so good, before."
The meaning is that things were going very well for him - better than they had ever gone before.

???????(00:46)When the Red Army arrived, it was still plenty of material for them to cart(?) away.
"When the Red Army arrived, there was still plenty of material for them to cart away."
Here, "cart away" means the same as "haul away" or "dispose of".

?????(03:36)For _______ services(?), ________________(?)

This person is not speaking very clearly.
I think he says, "We captured physicists, interrogated them, and they confessed they had had a stockpile of uranium. They buried it - hope they could hide it and keep it away from us."

??????(09:36)But the dangers to worry Eric Brown
I think the narrator says, "But the danger's no worry to Eric Brown."
(Meaning: The danger is no worry to Eric Brown.)
-----------------
???????(09:40)I was in ______ ________ ________(?)
"I was encouraged to (um) have a go at this"

??????(10:08)If one felt, as you said, this was a aircraft rocking under this power.

"And one felt, as you sat in this - with this aircraft rocking under this power."

??????(10:31)But the temptation was huge to have a ______ to think.
"But the temptation was so huge to have a go at this thing."
("Have a go" means to try to do it.)

???????(10:58)It was a jump ahead a ______ of time.

"It was a jump ahead of me all the time."
(He felt like the aircraft was ahead of him, his actions the whole time.)

============================
I'm not a teacher - but that's what I hear.

discovery2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
United States
Hi, opa6x57:

Thank you so much. I really appreciated it.
I think what you wrote about (03:36) is right on.

And it seems I missed 'to have a go at something' twice, probably because I didn't use that phrase at all.

May I ask you do me one more favor?
There are still some leftover questions from the same video.
Could you help me clear them away too?
This is the last batch guaranteed.

Thanks and regards,
Discovery
////////////////

Same video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtfb2_Huuo

(04:27)it's pretty heavy stuff so it took twenty of these planes flying round trips several times to carry that much stuff over there.

(04:36)The uranium was then shipped from Britain to the US. But not all of it arrived at the Manhattan project.

-----------------
(04:45)I appropriated my own personal souvenir.

???? (04:54)People have a funny idea that if you have uranium they think of explosions and stuff like that.

(05:04)And I encapsulated it in plastic and all those years some things happened to it.

(05:10)It's splitting apart.

???? (05:17)And it's minute(?) radioactive.

(05:26)And the radioactivity will last for thousands of years.

(05:31)I wouldn't sleep with it but I had it down the basement for years because my wife was so phobic about it.
-----------------
…………….
…………….
…………….
…………….

(06:50)Test pilot Eric Brown was the ideal man for the job.

(06:54)A legend at aviation Brown has flown more types of aircrafts than anyone else in history.

(07:00)When he arrived at the abandoned German airfields, he was amazed by what he found.

-----------------
(07:07)It was like walking into an Aladdin's cave as regards advanced aircraft.

(07:15)Airfields we visited were mostly in the state of chaos. But the strange thing was, much to our astonishment, they had not touched any of the advance jet or rocket aircraft.

(07:31)Now my only explanation for this is that they were so proud of their achievements in the sector that they wanted us to see what was available, what might have been.
-----------------

(07:48)Brown came face to face with one of the strangest looking aircraft in the German Luftwaffe, the Me-163, with its rocket engine designed by Walter.

-----------------
????(07:59)It was the ____________________________________ so exhilarate, a great challenge to fly.

????(08:09)_____ a number of revolutionary innovative features. It had swept wings, but above all it was rocket powered and it landed on a skid.
-----------------

???? (08:23)The aircraft's detachable wheels were jettisoned on takeoff to save weight. This made landings would be a hairy(?) experience.

(08:34)Brown could see his test flight was going to be exhilarating and dangerous.

???? (08:42)The rocket ____ Walter designed for that aircraft was a very clever piece of engineering. It's small. It was light. It was powerful.

(08:50)But because it used an explosive mix of fuels. 2 substances, C-Stoff and T-Stoff, when mixed together, essentially it's exploded and powered the rocket.

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
???? (04:54)People have a funny idea that if you have uranium they think of explosions and stuff like that.
I think you have the underlined portion correct ... but, earlier in the sentence, I don't hear what you have written. I think he says this, "People have a funny idea - they hear you have uranium (and um) they think of explosions..."

???? (05:17)And it's minute(?) radioactive.
What I hear is, "... it's mildly radioactive..."

(05:31)I wouldn't sleep with it but I had it down the basement for years because my wife was so phobic about it.
Exactly what I hear. Phobic means fearful of or frightened by it.

????(07:59)It was the ____________________________________ so exhilarate, a great challenge to fly.
What I hear is, "It was an airplane that made the adrenaline flow. Certainly exuded a great challenge to fly."

????(08:09)_____ a number of revolutionary innovative features. It had swept wings, but above all it was rocket powered and it landed on a skid.
I hear, "It had a number of..."

???? (08:23)The aircraft's detachable wheels were jettisoned on takeoff to save weight. This made landings would be a hairy(?) experience.
What I hear is, "This meant landings would be a hairy experience." (A hairy experience is one that is risky, or dangerous. Hair-raising.)

???? (08:42)The rocket ____ Walter designed for that aircraft was a very clever piece of engineering. It's small. It was light. It was powerful.
What I hear is, "The rocket that Walter designed..."

======================
I'm not a Teacher.

discovery2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
United States
Dear opa6x57,

Thank you so much.
I located this episode from PBS and divided it into 5 segments. For intensive lectures like this, I can concentrate for around 10 minutes.
Beyond that I start getting distracted.

This is the way I train my ears to pick up folks' speeches in this country currently. I reckon 10 minutes at a time is the best for me for now.

Is it possible for you to help me out with the rest of the same episode? I really thank you very much for all the previous help and wish you have a happy new year.

Best regards,
Discovery

Last edited:

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is rather time intensive. I'm not sure I can commit the time required to work on another 40-50 minutes of video.

Status
Not open for further replies.