Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello,

If you have time, could you please help to check my transcript (done with tool-asistanted)? It's from an English language program. In this episode they talk about an article called Advice for Marriage and Everyday Life. This transcript is part of the episode.

[Audio] (length: 07:39)
---
Welcome back to advanced studio classroom! We hope that you're having a great October day and we are so glad that you have taken time out of your day to spend a few moments with us talking about marriage and everyday life stress - those kinds of things that we can relate to. Whether you're married or not you can relate to stress. We're beginning our Lifestyle article today here on October 17th and we're excited about it. Two panelists, first welcome Gabe.

Hey, Brandon. It's great to be here as always. All right, Gabe you're married, right? (Yes!) You have kids? (Three.) Three kids now wow! That’s amazing, wonderful! How long have you... (Three kids now and forevermore.) Yeah, it's just three. It's good. Oh, okay, all right. That's gonna be set in stone. Anyway, we want to get into that but how long have you been married?

Um, 2016..., so what is that? It feels like six years. It's gonna make us do math here. This isn't in English language program. All right, around six years and we have Anne-Marie with us. Hi Anne-Marie!

Hey, everybody! Great to be here. You're married as well? I am. With kids? Two kids. All right. (and maybe some more, maybe.) Well, we don't have to get into that. That's a whole other topic for another day. All right, so how long have you been married? It will be 10 years next year. Wow! 10 years. That's awesome, wow. Okay, so you have the most experience here. Well, yeah, I guess, in the terms of time. I guess you can say that.

All right, I’ll ask you a lot of questions. I have been married. My wife and I have been married for three years now. I just over three years so I’m the least experienced here and uh yeah, I’m leading the program, so it'll be more of just... I'll be asking you guys some questions. (oh boy, yeah) ...And just offering a little bit of advice because you know, still pretty young, three years, but you still learn some things. We are talking about tips for a happy marriage. These are definitely not all the tips but actually it's a kind of a question and answer that we're looking at here on page 26, but before we get into the readings and everything I just want to ask Gabe and Anne-Marie some questions. All right, so talking about marriage, like what's been one of the greatest blessings of marriage for you?

One of the greatest... I think companionship is just one of those things that makes a really good marriage and just very blessed also to... to have that in our marriage, and I think that... That's super important, just because you know, life can get very busy with work and with kids you know and so, to be able to have a really good friend to... to talk to and to do life with and... and it's backed by a commitment for life. There's something special about that kind of commitment, you know. Um, that's different from like a work contract or something like that. So...

Absolutely, wow, yeah, okay, that's great. And for you, Anne-Marie, one of the greatest blessing things of marriage.

For me, one of the greatest blessings of marriage is having an encourager and a cheerleader around, who thinks you're great. You're married to this person, who married you because they chose to marry you, and they love you because they're choosing to love you, and you have someone around that is cheering you on and supports what you're doing, and that has been one of the greatest blessings for me.

Absolutely, well, when I was thinking of this question or the answer to this question for myself, I was also thinking along the lines of companionship and just that... there's... there's someone there that you're married to - that's just very special relationship, of course, and you can go through life together and also create a family together. Those are all beautiful things that..., it's like nothing else so I think that's really one of the biggest blessings for me, and then also like I love how we balance each other out, like we're similar in a lot of ways but definitely not in other ways, like for example, my wife is much more outgoing than I am, so that helps me in a lot of ways. I don't know if me being more introverted helps her. Anyway, but from my perspective that's what I think. So, there's a lot of blessings but there are also challenges and there are also surprises.

So, today we're looking at, like, a newlywed's perspective. Were there any like..., what's, like, one big surprise you had about marriage? like, maybe going into it if you can remember that far back.

You know, I don't remember, like, being really surprised. Maybe it's because people are always saying "Oh, you're going to be surprised by something when you get married", and so I was... I was prepared. You know what I mean. It was like... . Right. Yeah, and... and we were dating... We had dated for four years before we got married, and I mean that's not a long time, but..., to some people. But, um, but it is long to... to other people. That's... that's a long enough time to really get to know somebody. Um, and you know, throughout many different seasons, uh, ups and downs, and see how they, you know, interact with you and react to certain things and... Um, so, yeah, I... I wasn't too surprised by anything, uh, after we started living together. You know what I mean. Like after we were married...

Not the whole like the way someone squeezes the toothpaste tube or all those little things. I don’t know... Like, I have friends and that's actually one of the things they complain about in their marriage. I can't understand it, because... because everybody's got different way of doing things. That's fine, but we..., you know, we just... We just talk through them, I guess. Well, that's a really small thing. There's a lot going on in the world. But I actually have a friend who complained about the way that her husband rolled the toothpaste tube. Do you know what I mean? (Yeah) it's real. Like, these... Some of these things that we think are little can actually be a big deal.

Yeah, absolutely they can be. That's for sure. I know I have a lot of petty things that I complain about. That's just not one of them. Okay, Anne-Marie, what about you? What was the surprise?

I have two big surprises. (Okay, all right.) so the first thing I was very, very surprised about when I got married was how I didn't have a lot of pressure put on me by my husband and I think that's just because of who I married. Like, there weren't a lot of high expectations for housework. There wasn't a lot of high expectations really in any area and I was a lot more comfortable than I expected to be. So, that was a good surprise. (Great surprise!) It was a great surprise. The bad surprise was... I was already very, very independent before I got married. I was making my own money, spending my own money and I suddenly found that I had someone else to answer to for how I was spending my money, so that was a big surprise for me when I got married. (I had to mention the money word.) (That’s funny.) It is a hard topic, yeah. (Especially in marriage.)

Okay, so I think a lot of people can relate to... to those or some of those things you said, Anne-Marie. I think for me one thing I don't... I don't know if it was a surprise but I guess I didn't know what to expect was, like, you know, before you get married you're just kind of doing your own thing and maybe there are issues that you need to address in your life but you just choose to overlook them or don't pay much attention but... But when you get married, marriage has a way of just bringing those out very quickly, so I think that was... um..., it's an unpleasant surprise but it's actually a good thing because it helps you to grow if you let it do so, if you let it help you. So, that was one of the surprises. No toothpaste tube stories for me but I won't get into the petty things because we need to get on with our article. We're on page 26. We'll have our first reading and then we'll be back in just a moment.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think he says blessing things. Just blessings.

Hm.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Welcome back to advanced studio classroom! We hope that you're having a great October day and we are so glad that you have taken time out of your day to spend a few moments with us talking about marriage and everyday life stress - those kinds of things that we can relate to. Whether you're married or not you can relate to stress. We're beginning our Lifestyle article today here on October 17th and we're excited about it. Two panelists, first welcome Gabe.
[...]

All right, I’ll ask you a lot of questions. I have been married. My wife and I [...]
A friend said using "alright" here (and in other places of the transcription) would be better.

He said, "because (1) you're transcribing speech and (2) most people write it that way for that meaning, excluding formal edited books where people might still pretend 'alright' doesn't exist separately."

He then added, "(2) might be worded a little too strongly because sometimes things like opinion articles are just informal enough to use 'all right' this way, but point 1 you're transcribing speech is enough of an argument for me.

Otherwise you get rid of differences like:
The test scores were alright. (= they were okay/good enough)
The test scores were all right. (= they were 100% correct)

which might have slightly different intonation in speech."
---
Do you agree? I'm not sure, because dictionaries support "all right". :unsure:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my humble opinion, "All right" is perfectly fine.

I don't know what you are referring to with "(2) might be worded a little too strongly".

As for the text, he says "I have been married -- my wife and I -- ...." As is typical of speech, he starts the sentence one way then kind of interrupts himself to insert something. (There should be no period after "married".)

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In my humble opinion, "All right" is perfectly fine.

I don't know what you are referring to with "(2) might be worded a little too strongly".
I think he referred to this part: "and (2) most people write it that way for that meaning, excluding formal edited books where people might still pretend 'alright' doesn't exist separately."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.