Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
HI!I have two questions.
1.Normally we pronounce the 'a' part in 'address' same as the 'a' in 'about',right? Then why do I sometimes hear it pronounced as the 'a' in 'apple'? Has the meaning changed?
2.How do you pronounce 'multi-',especially the 'i' part?

Thanks a lot

it is pronounced like this: /mùltee/​

HI!I have two questions.
1.Normally we pronounce the 'a' part in 'address' same as the 'a' in 'about',right? Then why do I sometimes hear it pronounced as the 'a' in 'apple'? Has the meaning changed?
2.How do you pronounce 'multi-',especially the 'i' part?

Thanks a lot
I used to think this was a simple Am/Br Eng issue: Br Eng puts the stress on the second sylllable of 'address', which as the first syllable is unstressed, reduces the 'a' to /ǝ/. I thought Am Eng put the stress (always) on the first syllable, which makes it /æ/.

Likewise, although there's no change in stress, Br Eng /'mʌlti:/; Am Eng /'mǝltaɪ/ (or something like that -I'm useless at American vowel sounds :)

But I think this generalization is shaky. I know some Am English speakers who put the stress on 'address' in the Br Eng way.

b

Last edited:
In AmE /əˈdrɛs/ is the primary pronunciation and /ædrɛs/ the secondary.
Words like multi, semi, anti can be pronounced both ways, but are usually /-aɪ/ in BrE and /i/ in AmE.

Last edited:
In AmE /əˈdrɛs/ is the primary pronunciation and /ædrɛs/.
Words like multi, semi, anti can be pronounced both ways, but are usually /-aɪ/ in BrE and /i/ in AmE.
Your first line is unclear, and I think you've got it the wrong way round in the second.

Thank you all! Now I understand.I thought it was an AmE and BrE issue and I just don't know how to differentiate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back