Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi

Please let me know how can i learn stress pattern.

Regards
Pallavi

Hi

Please let me know how can i learn stress pattern.

Regards
Pallavi
English is rather irregular. The best way to learn is to listen to a lot of spoken English, rather than to look for a list of rules.

:up: If anyone produced such a list, it would be probably be impossible to remember anyway.

b

PS Irrelevant reminiscence: When I was a student, I was taught by the then Doctor (now Professor) Erik Fudge, and at the end of one lecture he invited us to an optional seminar that he was going to give, with the title 'Is English word-stress predictable?' Someone asked 'I'm afraid I can't make it then - can you give me a one-word answer?'

PS Irrelevant reminiscence: When I was a student, I was taught by the then Doctor (now Professor) Erik Fudge, and at the end of one lecture he invited us to an optional seminar that he was going to give, with the title 'Is English word-stress predictable?' Someone asked 'I'm afraid I can't make it then - can you give me a one-word answer?'
Did he give it?

He said words to the effect of 'Yes, but you need to come to the seminar to get the whole story, and. There are many influences involved in order to predict a word's stress pattern you need to be aware of all those factors.'

But anyway, this was only about word stress, and sentence stress is a whole nother thing!

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back