Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Mexico
I am English language teacher. I have confidence but I am weak in eye contact. specially during lecture I fell shy to see girls. How can I build my eye contact?

Everyone knows lack of self confidence is in contradiction to becoming a good teacher. I think your problem is just an obsession. You must know and believe you are better than your students and have a wider range of knowledge. There is a famous sentence: "Teachers are authorities in classrooms." Keep it ringing in yours ears. It might help you.

You mention lectures, which seem to be a bit impersonal by definition. If it's purely eye contact that you're having trouble with, then I would suggest just do it no matter how uncomfortable you feel, and after a short time, it'll just come naturally.

But in the classroom, I think interpersonal skills come into play a lot more. I would suggest you find a teacher you know is good at it, and observe them teaching. I suspect what you'll see is a lot of using students' names, remembering things about their students' personal lives, and asking follow questions during feedback out of a genuine interest. Not only does it show your students that you care, but it can create many opportunities for communication to occur in the future, which can only be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back