English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi eveyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I happen to see "Thanks J" everywhere, and I get that it is an informal "thank you". I just wonder what does "J" stand for? Is it American or British?

Thanks a lot.

Not British. There is the expression 'Gee thanks' - which in text speak may become 'G thx' (I wouldn't know, but... :-?) And in French /ʒi:/ and /ʒe/ mean, respectively, J and G . So I guess some confusion could arise... (Can anyone hear the sound of straws being clutched at? ;-))

b

Hi eveyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I happen to see "Thanks J" everywhere, and I get that it is an informal "thank you". I just wonder what does "J" stand for? Is it American or British?

Thanks a lot.
Apparently it's the result of some software not being able to reproduce smileys, which become encoded as a J. It means nothing.
http://rolfje.wordpress.com/2008/02/27/when-j-means/

Haha :) Now, I really feel stupid :lol: When I googled it, I got some results, so I thought it really existed as a phrase in English :roll:

Thank you all, Thanks J :-D

My PC-based Outlook takes :) and makes it into a :), but when I send it to my Mac-based colleagues, they get the J as well. The first time someone asked me what that "J" was all about, I was confused too!

I sent :up: in a chat message and the other person asked what yes meant- it took me a while to work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back