Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Can I use the verb ''Look forward to'' + noun? I know we usually use '' ing'' form of a verb , but is my sentence completely wrong?

Even though his friends are looking forward to live music, as the man said the lead singer can't take part in a concert.

Thank you for your response.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can have look forward to + noun, but the sentence is a bit unclear- has the concert been called off?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use the verb ''Look forward to'' + noun? I know we usually use '' ing'' form of a verb , but is my sentence completely wrong?

Even though his friends are looking forward to live music, as the man said the lead singer can't take part in a concert.

Thank you for your response.

As Tdol said, you can certainly "look forward to" + a noun.

I'm looking forward to Christmas.
He's looking forward to his birthday.
They're looking forward to their holiday in August.
She's looking forward to her trip to the cinema tonight.

I agree with Tdol though - I don't understand what the sentence means. Is it something like "His friends were really looking forward to live music but unfortunately, as the man said, the lead singer can't perform because he is sick"?

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Yes ,the singer gets sick and the man can't find another person to fill in for the singer. Thank you so much. I was not sure whether my answer was correct.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
BTW, what's the difference between these two sentences:

"I'm looking forward to ..."
"I look forward to ... "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BTW, what's the difference between these two sentences:

"I'm looking forward to ..."
"I look forward to ... "

"I look forward to..." suggests habit. "I look forward to Christmas every year", "I look forward to my birthday party every February". It's also used formally at the end of letters "I look forward to hearing from you", "I look forward to receiving your response".

"I'm looking forward to..." is usually followed by one single event that you are currently anticipating. "I'm looking forward to going out for dinner on Saturday evening."

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's what I had supposed, but saw your post with the sentence: I'm looking forward to Christmas.
It should mean that somebody is looking forward to the following Christmas (we don't matter does he generally look forward to it).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's what I had supposed, but saw your post with the sentence: I'm looking forward to Christmas.
It should mean that somebody is looking forward to the following Christmas (we don't matter does he generally look forward to it).

In that example, it's a one-off statement. I am simply saying that right now, in July 2011, I am looking forward to (am excited about) Christmas 2011.

By the way, that isn't actually true!

Status
Not open for further replies.