Had better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is used; it can convey more force than 'shouldn't'. ;-)

Hi Richard

I think I understand the real meaning of had better vs. should not now that I have done some research on it. Had better has a more compulsory or coercive characteristic.

Thank you very much.

Do we have to use "better had"? and what difference will it make if we don't :?:

Had better + bare infinitive means you should do something because, if you don't, the consequences will probably be rather bad for you (as in the case of your girlfriend possibly leaving you). The expression (often contracted to 'd better) is grammatically incorrect without had (or 'd), although many people think that you better, for example, is correct; they just miss the (hardly audible) 'd.

And I think Isra meant I had better leave, not live, right?

Useful when it comes to giving advice -you are not comparing something to something else, so forget about the 'better'. Always the same form and followed by bare infinitive. In spite of 'had' you are not talking about the past or referring to a past situation, the meaning is present (or near future).I'd better put an end to this. (by the way, do not let 'd rather' lead you astray, this is preference).

Hi Friends,
In meaning, had better is close to ''should/ ought to'' but ''had better'' is usually stronger.Often had better implies a warning or a threat of possible bad consequences.
You had better not do it = If you do it, there will be a bad result.

"had better" is a modal idiom. Since it's modal, it does not take "to" before a following infinitive.
"You'd better BE quiet." is good English.
"You'd better TO BE quiet" is not English.

BTW: "had better" means "should."

"had better" is a modal idiom. Since it's modal, it does not take "to" before a following infinitive.
"You'd better BE quiet." is good English.
"You'd better TO BE quiet" is not English.

BTW: "had better" means "should."

"You'd better TO BE quiet" is still English, just wrong grammar. :lol:

i think,HAD BETTER is used for those actions, which are good to take in any particullar situations
eg:
we had better read these structions before we start cooking.
it means.
it would be good, if we read the structions first.
:)

I think there's just a spelling problem.
The correct structure includes had:
I'd better go now. You'd better hurry.
However, we often don't pronounce the 'd - as we don't pronounce t or d in many other cases:
mustn't, I can't bear/stand/go..., mind the gap, etc.
Sometime you can really hear that slight difference between I'd better and I better but it's such a small thing that it can easily get lost. Still, it shouldn't be left out in writing;-)

"had better" is what [some] grammarians call a modal idiom. It means "should."

Does anyone really understand this structure? To be honest, it escapes me. ;-)

Had better refers to present or future time, and gives advice about how to stop something going wrong.

I think you'd better leave now. (Before it is too late)
You'd better not drive. (It might be dangerous)

:)

'Cause we say - You had better do it, so, i think it will be you had better NOT do it. You had not better do it looks a bit sensless to me................

had better not :tick:

"had better" is what [some] grammarians call a modal idiom. It means "should."

That's interesting. I though it didn't fit in with any grammatical pattern, even though the meaning is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back