Check

He checked ____ the hotel when he arrived.

• Total voters

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would say into. What do you say?

:)

You see it as two words and one here. ;-)

tdol said:
You see it as two words and one here. ;-)

can you please tell me the answer? i think it is check in..............or am i wrong?

For goodness sake - it is "He checked in to the hotel." That's why they have "Check In" counters in hotel lobbies. A more correct sentence would read:
"He checked in at the hotel when he arrived." Also, "When he arrived at the hotel, he checked in." :twisted:

elijahfry said:
For goodness sake - it is "He checked in to the hotel." That's why they have "Check In" counters in hotel lobbies. A more correct sentence would read:
"He checked in at the hotel when he arrived." Also, "When he arrived at the hotel, he checked in." :twisted:

Both checked in and checked into are correct. The better choice would be 'into' because the combination is efficient: one word is more economical than two.

He checked into the hotel. :D :D
He checked in to the hotel. :D

All the best,

I get a mark for linguistic economy, do I? ;-)

Every little bit helps.

:wink:

i think this question needs reformulation. we check in 'at' not 'to' the hotel.

mo8 said:
i think this question needs reformulation. we check in 'at' not 'to' the hotel.

Check in at the hotel.
==> phrasal verb + prepositional phrase, functioning as an adverb; Where? At the hotel.

Check into the hotel.
==> phrasal verb + noun, functioning as the object of the verb; What? The hotel.

All the best, :D

'check in" is used more often here in the US

Dear all:-D ;
so if ya say both "in" & "into" is possible; this poll is'nt the proper one (bcoz of two equal choice!!!)

kindest regards;-)

:) I believe "into" is the better choice, though.

EX: Let's check in at the desk.
=> At the desk is where we are checking in.

EX: Lets' check in [/u]to the hotel[/u].
=> *To the hotel is where we are checking in. (ungrammatical)

EX: Let's check into the hotel.
=> The hotel is where we are checking into.

I would use "CHECK IN", It's better in this case!

Check into is more to mean:examine so as to determine accuracy, quality or condition, example: Check the brakes; check out the engine.
Check into would be synonym of: check, check up on, look into, check out, suss out, check over, and used as an hypernym will mean: analyze, study, examine, as an hyponym means: watch, observe, follow or keep an eye on.

I think the "Check in" is the best in this case because: we can define it saying: check in is the process of announcing our arrival at a hotel, airport, etc. When we are in a hotel we can read the sign called "CHECK IN"

I`ve just checked in to a hotel.- this sentence seems right to me.
Am I wrong?

Back