Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Can I use the possessive word "of" many times in a sentence as follow:
"I bought a lot ot cakes of stores of that hall"
Is it natural to use like that or how can I rewrite?
Thanks! :-D

Can I use the possessive word "of" many times in a sentence as follow:
"I bought a lot ot cakes of stores of that hall"
Is it natural to use like that or how can I rewrite?
Thanks! :-D

No, it's not natural. "I bought a lot of cakes from stores in that hall."

It is possible to use 'of' several times:

News of the assassination of the President of the People's Republic of Gardenia has caused concern in neigbouring states.

:up: And 'hall' is possible but unusual, rather than 'place/shopping centre/mall...'. Some posh shops - and shops with pretensions to poshness - have a place called a 'food hall' - but a 'food hall' doesn't contain 'stores'. Perhaps the OP is being misled by the French halles - which means something like 'covered market'; and that, too, doesn't contain 'stores'. A covered market is made up of 'stalls'.

b

:up: And 'hall' is possible but unusual, rather than 'place/shopping centre/mall...'. Some posh shops - and shops with pretensions to poshness - have a place called a 'food hall' - but a 'food hall' doesn't contain 'stores'. Perhaps the OP is being misled by the French halles - which means something like 'covered market'; and that, too, doesn't contain 'stores'. A covered market is made up of 'stalls'.

b

"Les Halles" in Avignon contains small shops.

"Les Halles" in Avignon contains small shops.

Although the "halles" in Versailles, my wife's home town, has stalls and no shops.

But whether they're stalls or shops they're not stores!

b

A shop in the UK is a store in the US, isn't it?

BrE = I'm going to the bookshop.
AmE = I'm going to the bookstore.

To me, a shopping centre in the UK is a covered area full of different shops, and a shopping mall in the USA is a covered area full of different stores.

A shop in the UK is a store in the US, isn't it?

BrE = I'm going to the bookshop.
AmE = I'm going to the bookstore.

To me, a shopping centre in the UK is a covered area full of different shops, and a shopping mall in the USA is a covered area full of different stores.
I think that's the way it works - though I wouldn't be surprised if some US retail places were called 'shops' - for the snob value - rather like Br Eng and 'boutique'. But I really don't know.

(And don't get me started on French magasins, which don't sell magazines, unless... ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back