Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1) Yet Pullum’s and my intuitions about the facts were different from those of Chomsky and other linguists who align themselves theoretically with him ; and, when I used corpus data to check the facts of usage, I found that these were systematically different both from what Chomsky predicted and from what Pullum and I predicted.

2) Yet Pullum’s and my intuitions about the facts were different from the intuitions of Chomsky and other linguists who align themselves theoretically with him; and, when I used corpus data to check the facts of usage, I found that these were systematically different both from what Chomsky predicted and from what Pullum and I predicted.

Source:

Are the above sentences correct?

I don't know when I can use the possessive 'of' with people. I suppose the above sentences are indeed correct, but can I say the following?

3) I talked to the sister of John.
4) I don't like the theories of Chomsky.
5) I don't like the theories of Chomsky and his followers.
6) He is the boss of you.

I suspect that #5 is acceptable and #3 and #4 aren't.
I suppose #6 is only acceptable in spoken English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I talked to John's sister.
I don't like Chomsky's theories.
He is your boss.

There's an expression that goes, "You're not the boss of me."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) Yet Pullum’s and my intuitions about the facts were different from those of Chomsky and other linguists who align themselves theoretically with him [...]

2) Yet Pullum’s and my intuitions about the facts were different from the intuitions of Chomsky and other linguists who align themselves theoretically with him;
Both are OK, but the first is tighter.
3) I talked to the sister of John.

4) I don't like the theories of Chomsky.
Grammatically correct, but we'd normally say John's sister and Chomsky's theories.
5) I don't like the theories of Chomsky and his followers.
OK.
6) He is the boss of you.

That sounds unnatural to me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I don't like the theories of Chomsky and his followers" doesn't make much sense to me unless his followers have some of their own theories. In that case I don't know. Are they really his followers or what?

Last edited: