While those who tend to wear black clothings....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was reading the IELTS questions and one of them is "Can people tell someone’s personality by his or her clothes?" I tried to come up with my answer as the following:

While those who tend to wear black clothings gives onlookers (people who look at them) a gloomy and solemn feel, colorful outfits do make them look appealing and full of beans.

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was reading the some IELTS questions and one of them is "Can people tell someone’s personality by his or her clothes?" I tried to come up with my answer as the following: I came up with the following answer:

While those who tend to wear black clothings clothing/clothes gives onlookers ( can make people who look at them feel a gloomy and solemn, feel, colorful outfits do make them look feel appealing and full of beans happy.

Is the italic sentence natural?
I've done the best I can but you had a basic problem - the first half of your sentence concentrated on how dark clothing makes other people feel, but the second half seemed to concentrate on how light clothing makes the wearer feel. The first half didn't answer the question. It doesn't ask what effect someone's clothes have on other people.

Also, you haven't given an opinion on whether you actually believe that you can work out someone's personality based on what they wear.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've done the best I can but you had a basic problem - the first half of your sentence concentrated on how dark clothing makes other people feel, but the second half seemed to concentrate on how light clothing makes the wearer feel. The first half didn't answer the question. It doesn't ask what effect someone's clothes have on other people.

Also, you haven't given an opinion on whether you actually believe that you can work out someone's personality based on what they wear.
Much appreciated, emsr2d2. Those questions are really really difficult for peole like me. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how I could answer them in Chinese. I'd better keep learning English here, step by step, and I think this is what I really want and need. :)

I consider those questions a challenge to improve my understanding of the English language and a way to help me with my logic and reasoning in English. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you actually understand what the original question is asking?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you actually understand what the original question is asking?
I don't know if my understanding of the question is correct. But here's my interpretation of it.

"Can people tell someone’s personality by his or her clothes?"
Can people tell what someone's personality is by how they wear clothes? If they wear sports clothes, they tend to be outgoing because they exercise very often, presumably. And if they wear business suits very often, they tend to be more courteous and punctual.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know if my understanding of the question is correct. But here's my interpretation of it.

Can people tell what someone's personality is by how they wear clothes?

Well, the question is mainly about what they wear rather than how they wear them.

Make sure you answer the question in your first sentence. Like this, for example:

Q: Can people tell someone’s personality by his or her clothes?
A: Yes, definitely. Actually, I think you can tell an awful lot about someone simply from the way they choose to dress.