Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Someone replaced this with "passing a bravery exam" and I think "passing a bravery test" can work as "test" is a broader concept than "exam", which may mean only written or formal ones done in class rooms. What do you think?

ex)...On the South Pacific island of Pentecost, teenage boys must prove they are adults by passing a test of bravery...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Someone replaced this with "passing a bravery exam" and I think "passing a bravery test" can work as "test" is a broader concept than "exam", which may mean only written or formal ones done in class rooms. What do you think?

ex)...On the South Pacific island of Pentecost, teenage boys must prove they are adults by passing a test of bravery...

"Exam" is not appropriate in that context.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it because of the reason I said?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.
:-DI agree with bhaisahab and Chicken Sandwich. (And of course you do, I believe.)
It's true "exam(ination)" and "test" share overlapping usages, but the "test" used in your context cannot be replaced with "exam(ination)", which is usually performed for educational, scientific (medical) or legal purposes. Please see: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary (definition #4 fits in this context.)
As for your idea that "test" has a broader concept than "exam", I think I can agree with you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, regarding word order, the original piece you quoted says "a test of bravery". That word order is much more natural than "a bravery test".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've always wondered why, in English, structures such as "a test of bravery" and "the day of victory" are more natural than "a bravery test" and "the victory day". I've seen both forms and many Asian languages have more of the latter form, so I unconsciously try to choose and say the latter form as we have no "of".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've always wondered why, in English, structures such as "a test of bravery" and "the day of victory" are more natural than "a bravery test" and "the victory day". I've seen both forms and many Asian languages have more of the latter form, so I unconsciously try to choose and say the latter form as we have no "of".

I think the only reason that, for example, "a test of bravery" sounds more natural is simply that, in the context, the "test" here is more like "an ordeal to test XXX" or "a trial". If it actually meant a "test" like an "exam" then it would sound better after the subject.

He underwent a great test of [his] strength.
Teenagers endure a test of [their] bravery.
That film was a real test of my patience.

He took an English test.
The schoolchildren must sit several maths tests.
I watched that film for my Media Studies test.

Status
Not open for further replies.