I intend to take the test three times and use the....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I told my parents that I am putting aside around 6,600 yuan within half a year and my dad asked me why. I said I would take the IELTS three times. In China, we can pay the money up front. My dad asked why I needed to take a test three times, I told him some reasons. In a nutshell, I said "I intend to take the test three times and use the average score".

The intended meaning of the italic sentence is "If the three overall scores I get are 5, 6, 7, I'll tell my friends that I get a 6 in my IELTS test. Sometimes it's hard to see one's English level by simply knowing their one-time IELTS score"

Is the italic sentence okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What a waste of money! I can understand retaking a test if you're really disappointed with your score the first time but purposely taking a test three times just to get an average you can tell your friends about is very odd. Presumably, your friends aren't going to ask for evidence of your score so you can tell them anything you like!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What a waste of money! I can understand retaking a test if you're really disappointed with your score the first time but purposely taking a test three times just to get an average you can tell your friends about is very odd. Presumably, your friends aren't going to ask for evidence of your score so you can tell them anything you like!
Yes, my friends don’t care. However, I really need a higher score to find a job. Please help me with my sentence, please. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, my friends don’t care. However, I really need a higher score to find a job. Please help me with my sentence, please. :)
If you need to pass IELTS to get a job, you won't be using an average score. When you apply for a job, they'll ask you your IELTS score and you'll have to provide evidence so you'll simply choose the certificate that shows the highest score.

Taking it three times might not be enough, of course, depending on what score you're aiming for or what score your potential employers are interested in. You might take it once, get a great score and just leave it at that. You might end up taking it twenty times before you get a score that's acceptable to those employers.

I'm going to take the IELTS exam as many times as I need to until I get the score I want.