When "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo_Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, all:

I've always wanted to know when "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean? Is it derogratory

Which meaning of the following springs to mind when you hear somebody say:"Tom is just...flamboyant."

dictionary meanings:
adjective:
1. elaborate or extravagant; florid; showy
2. rich or brilliant in colour; resplendent
3. exuberant or ostentatious
4. of, denoting, or relating to the French Gothic style of architecture characterized by flamelike tracery and elaborate carving
---------

Of course only the 3rd meaning can be applied to person. But I still have difficulty understanding it. how can "exuberant" be used to describe a person?
Sorry, English is my 2nd language. I'm still learning.

Hi, all:

I've always wanted to know when "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean? Is it derogratory

Which meaning of the following springs to mind when you hear somebody say:"Tom is just...flamboyant."

dictionary meanings:
adjective:
1. elaborate or extravagant; florid; showy
2. rich or brilliant in colour; resplendent
3. exuberant or ostentatious
4. of, denoting, or relating to the French Gothic style of architecture characterized by flamelike tracery and elaborate carving
---------

Of course only the 3rd meaning can be applied to person. But I still have difficulty understanding it. how can "exuberant" be used to describe a person?
Sorry, English is my 2nd language. I'm still learning.

Definitions 1 and 3 can be applied to people. In my opinion, it is not derogatory in and of itself. It depends on context, tone of voice etc - the speaker can make it sound derogatory, complimentary or neutral.

Thanks, emsr2d2. But my main difficulty lies in:

when "elaborate", "extravagant", "florid" and "exuberant" are used to describe a person, do these words refer to her/his dressing style or her/her overly showy personality??

Thanks, emsr2d2. But my main difficulty lies in:

when "elaborate", "extravagant", "florid" and "exuberant" are used to describe a person, do these words refer to her/his dressing style or her/her overly showy personality??
Either or both.

This is interesting, though a flamboyant person doesn't have to be decorated with flame-like sculptures! But a crimson silk jacket would work. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back