Is the noun "survey" really used synonymously with "study?

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
the study; the poll
To me, it always seemed like it was used synonymously with "poll" when I've heard it before. Even when the context was a scientific study the information was still extracted via a poll rather than through observation or so.
On the other hand, this British English school book I'm using right now (Green Line 1 by Klett) names study as a secondary meaning. Can it even be used for studies that didn't contain a poll?

Last edited:

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Title and author please. You should know by now that we require this information
Sorry, it's Green Line 1 by Klett, a book for fifth grade German students.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

There is some degree of synonymy, yes, but the words are not usually semantically interchangeable, if that's what you mean.

As you appear to be already aware, a survey is typically a way of gaining data by asking questions only (like 'poll'), but it does go broader than that, covering data collection by observation using a range of methodologies.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
There is some degree of synonymy, yes, but the words are not usually semantically interchangeable, if that's what you mean.

As you appear to be already aware, a survey is typically a way of gaining data by asking questions only (like 'poll'), but it does go broader than that, covering data collection by observation using a range of methodologies.
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly.
They are interchangeable in terms of that they're both a way of gaining data by various methods, right? In what ways are they not interchangeable?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They're two different words, with different meanings and different uses, but there is some degree of synonymy between them.

My advice is that you should examine these words separately, and in respective authentic context. We normally ask that you provide at least one complete sentence using the word that you want to know about.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
They're two different words, with different meanings and different uses, but there is some degree of synonymy between them.

My advice is that you should examine these words separately, and in respective authentic context. We normally ask that you provide at least one complete sentence using the word that you want to know about.
Okay, I followed your advice. You're right, there's a whole bunch of ways they're used differently, even as a noun and I didn't even know some of them at all.

In this case, I wasn't really comfortable with providing a sentence since I didn't hear one recently.

Last edited: