What accent do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say Chinese, but then I read your profile. It's good English with a detectable Asian accent. Classifying it as a certain English accent is impossible I think.
(But of course, 'Asian' isn't an accent.)

Ah so I have a somewhat "Asian" accent?
What aspects of my speech give that away?
If I wanted to remove my accent what particular features of my speech should I be focusing on?

I honestly wouldn't worry about your accent- it's fine and very clear. Although it doesn't sound 100% native speaker, it's close enough- I'd find it hard to wipe the smile off my face if I could do that in the language I am currently studying. To me, it sounds like someone who has learned mostly AmE pronunciation.

I agree with Raymott and Tdol that your accent cannot be classified as a native English accent. Having said that, some of it sounds like BrE to me, but overall it's not very consistent. I suppose you could "remove" your accent by adopting a BrE (England English in this case) accent. I wouldn't worry about it, however (unless you really want to improve it) - it's very easy to understand.

Ah so I have a somewhat "Asian" accent?
What aspects of my speech give that away?
If I wanted to remove my accent what particular features of my speech should I be focusing on?
Haha, it's funny that I missed you saying "Korea" twice in the video - I was putting on my earphones at the time! I listened to it again.
A few words -microphon for microphone; pipple for people. But more generally, you sound like a lot of Asian students that I used to go to university with here in Brisbane. Many of them have very good English accents, but they sound different from students from Arabic countries, for example. I don't know what the similarities are between Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and I can't differentiate a speaker from those languages.
Really you don't need to change anything. You sound better than many natives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back