How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ? Which of the following is correctly pronounced "two to one", "two dash one", "two hyphen one" or "two pont one" ? Thank you in advance.

How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ? Which of the following is correctly pronounced "two to one", "two dash one", "two hyphen one" or "two pont one" ? Thank you in advance.
Why have you labelled you charts and figures Chart 2-1 and Figure 2-1 in the first place? I don't think I've seen that style. If it was somebody else who did it, I'd read it "Chart two one".

Hi, Raymott, thank you for your help. I got this from a book written by Martin J. Pring. So I don't have to read out the "-" in this case. Yes, it sounds better. Thanks alot.

Hi, Raymott, thank you for your help. I got this from a book written by Martin J. Pring. So I don't have to read out the "-" in this case. Yes, it sounds better. Thanks alot.

You will see this type of labeling in texts that have numbered sections/chapters. Chart 2-1 would be the first chart in the second section, followed by 2-2, 2-3, etc.

Were I to read that, I would say Chart 2 dash 1, 2 dash 2, etc.

Not a teacher!

If I had to refer to a chart labelled as above I would say chart two one. A chart 3.1.1 I would read as chart three one one. I would only ever say dash, hyphen or dot when I had to dictate this to somebody.

TomUK

Not a teacher!

If I had to refer to a chart labelled as above I would say chart two one. A chart 3.1.1 I would read as chart three one one. I would only ever say dash, hyphen or dot when I had to dictate this to somebody.

TomUK

I have lectured many times to audiences who have had these types of designated charts and figures in their course notes. I always use the "dash" or "dot" as references to avoid confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back