Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
I know that "on the internet" is correct but I want to know if we can also use "via" (preposition) for it or not.
When can we use "via" for it?

Last edited:
The word 'via' means by way of; by means of; through (Collins), so 'via the internet' is fine.

The capital 'I' is still preferred by a lot of people, but whichever form you choose, you need the definite article before it.

Hello,
I know that "on the internet" is correct but I want to know if we can also use "via" (preposition) for it or not.

Please give correct information in your profile.

The word 'via' means by way of; by means of; through (Collins), so 'via the internet' is fine.

The capital 'I' is still preferred by a lot of people, but whichever form you choose, you need the definite article before it.
Hello,
The capital "T" for what? For which word?

Hello,
The capital "T" for what? For which word?

It said the capital "i" or "I" - on "internet". Some people still use "Internet" but both are perfectly acceptable. I never capitalise it. However, whichever you choose, it needs to be preceded by the definite article.

Hello,

You can use "via" in some contexts.

One can say, I received this via the Internet.

One cannot say, I am via the Internet.

In the UK, 'via' is mostly used to indicate bus routes.

'This bus goes to Manchester via Accrington.'

In the UK, 'via' is mostly used to indicate bus routes.

'This bus goes to Manchester via Accrington.'

We use it that way in the US also.

Last edited:
I'd use via the internet to distinguish it as the route used from other possibilities. It's not just a straight alternative for me.

Before I left my last office job "Please send it to me via email" had become the norm.

Before I left my last office job "Please send it to me via email" had become the norm.

Was it a reason for leaving? ;-)

Hello again,

These things have been improved by the internet.

I think I can replace "on" with "by" and the sentences is correct but the meaning will differ. Right?

Hello again,

These things have been improved by the internet.

I think I can replace "on" with "by" and the sentences is correct but the meaning will differ. Right?

Yes. If you replace "by" with "on", you will have a correct sentence with a different meaning from the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back