Books like Harlequins: is it a good metaphor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
While reading about the problem of the decrease in reading I came across such a sentence: People love reading books like Harlequins, which cannot offer us any interesting problems to consider.

Do you think a native speaker of English could have written such a phrase? Is it understandable?

Last edited:
As it stands, I can't see any grammatical errors. However, without knowing what "Harlequins" is supposed to mean, it's not possible to say for certain that the sentence is OK.

"Harlequin" is a publishing company, related in some way to Mills&Boon. They publish "romances" - love stories. Girl meets Man; some perceived problem prevents them from getting together for 196 pages; then the problem is resolved - Girl gets Man.
http://www.harlequinbooks.com.au/

I am used to seeing that as "Harlequin romances" rather than "Harlequins".

Do you think a native speaker of English could have written such a phrase? Is it understandable?
By the way, it's not a metaphor. Yes, that is consistent with a native speaker's sentence. Yes, it's understandable if you know that 'Harlequins' are a type of book; otherwise it's probably not. I suppose it's rather like a reference to reading Penguins.

I prefer to eat P-P-P-Penguins. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back