Could someone check my letter for grammar faults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi,

I wrote this 'practice' letter. Is there anyone who would want to take the time to check it for (especially) grammar faults? It's a letter of only 300 words :)

Thanks in advance!

Amsterdam, March 9th 2014

Dear Ken,

It’s been a while since I wrote you. How are you? I’ve read this article in the Daily Mirror the other day about terrorism which was very impressive.

When people hear the word ‘terrorism’ most of them think about large, organized groups in Eastern countries. But when I think about terrorism I think about the ‘lone wolves’. Individuals who got isolated from society somehow and get obsessed by radical ideas.

Recently I talked with some friends about the causes of terrorism and we asked ourselves which methods may and should be used to tackle them. One of the basic causes is the worldwide poverty we can’t seem to solve. Today’s terrorism comes as well from people who don’t find their live worth living anymore. Because of their hopeless and desperate future they are easy targets for radicals and they won’t step back for a suicide attack.

Personally, I was very shocked about the Boston Marathon Bombing a year ago. The attack definitely showed the weakness of America. The brothers Tsarnaev placed two self-made pressure cooker bombs in the middle of the audience at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. A few people died and a lot of others lost limbs. Their motive to kill innocent Americans was because the United States have killed thousands of innocents as well.

In my opinion terrorism is unacceptable at all terms. There is a lot of injustice in the world and a billion of unfair businesses, but we can’t kill (innocent) people just to get back to those who may or may not be responsible for earlier actions. That doesn’t solve anything. In fact, I think it will only make things worse.

I’m very curious about your thoughts on this subject.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Kind regards,
Laura

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I wrote this 'practice' letter. Is there anyone who would want to take the time to check it for (especially) grammar faults? It's a letter of only 300 words :)

Thanks in advance!

Amsterdam, March 9th, 2014

Dear Ken,

It’s been a while since I wrote you. How are you? [STRIKE]I’ve [/STRIKE] I read this (unless you include the article, so the reader can see the article, use "an article") article in the Daily Mirror the other day about terrorism, which was very impressive.

When people hear the word ‘terrorism’ most of them think about large, organized groups in Eastern (The general term is Mid-Eastern) countries. But when I think about terrorism I think about the ‘lone wolves’, individuals who got isolated from society somehow and [STRIKE]get [/STRIKE] became obsessed by radical ideas.

Recently, I talked with some friends about the causes of terrorism and we asked ourselves which methods may and should be used to tackle them. One of the basic causes is [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]worldwide poverty which we can’t seem to solve. Today’s terrorism comes as well from people who don’t find their [STRIKE]live [/STRIKE] lives worth living anymore. Because of their hopeless and desperate future they are easy targets for radicals and they won’t step back for a suicide attack. (I don't understand "step back" here.)

Personally, I was very shocked about the Boston Marathon bombing a year ago. The attack definitely showed the weakness of America (Do you mean there should have been more police or the race should have been controlled better?). The brothers Tsarnaev placed two self-made pressure cooker bombs in the middle of the audience at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. A few people died and a lot of others lost limbs. Their motive to kill innocent Americans was because the United States [STRIKE]have [/STRIKE] has killed thousands of innocents as well.

In my opinion, terrorism is unacceptable [STRIKE]at all terms[/STRIKE]. There is a lot of injustice in the world and a billion of unfair businesses, but we can’t kill (innocent) people just to get back to those who may or may not be responsible for earlier actions. That doesn’t solve anything. In fact, I think it will only make things worse.

I’m very curious about your thoughts on this subject.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Kind regards,
Laura
Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.