[Grammar] Syntactic Agreement in Sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Teachers & Members:

Reading on one of my facebook's contacts post, it seems to me that there is some syntactic disagrement in her writting. Below it is the so called post:

«You know you're still young at heart when searching for a catchy translation sends you and your colleages into peals of laughter. So, how would YOU translate "dick pic"? Yep, it came up in a job last week.»

I think that some grammatical elements or words were missing in the above post between: 1)
''searchin for a catchy translation... sends''; and 2) ''your colleagues... peals of laughter''.

The contact who wrote this post is an English native speaker ─ American English (AmE) ─ whom I know it has a good command of the language.

I kindly ask for your help and assistance in this issue

Last edited:
It *is* a post, whether you find it grammatical or not. Calling it a "so-called post" is inaccurate.

It is grammatical.

Here is a simpler sentence: Getting presents makes me happy.
Can you look at your friend's post and see the same structure?

PS: writing. One T

Thank you for your quick reply Barb_D

1) Thanking you in advanced for your correction. Which one would be the appropriate term rather than ''so-called post''?

2) Can you please, re-write the above-mentioned sentence with another grammatical structure meaning the same?

3) I would say: «Getting presents make me happy.»

Your cooperation will be deeply appreciated.

Dear Barb_D

I'm still confused about it, but perhaps deciphering on my facebook's contact post I could get the help I need as well as understand this sort of grammar structure.

I - Deciphering on the grammar structure I don't understand:

a) You know you're still young at heart.

b) When searching for a catchy translation sends you.

c) And you colleagues into peals of laughter.

II - Did my facebook's contact want to mean the following?

«You know you're still young at heart when searching for a catchy translation (that) someone sends you and your colleages burst into peals of laughter.»

Please help!

Last edited:
The act of searching
Makes
You
Laugh

Searching sends you into peals of laughter

Does that help?

Okay Barb_D. I will analyze your last answer in order to know this type of grammar structure; it's indeed pretty instructive!

This was the same sort of answer the one who posted it told me, but the last clause you wrote ─ searching sends you into peals of laughter ─ did the trick.

This might rather be a a reduced clause of: «You know you're still young at heart when searching for a catchy translation which sends you and your colleages into peals of laughter.»

Do you know how this type of grammar structure is known?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You know you're still young at heart [when searching for a catchy translation sends you and your colleages into peals of laughter].

Hello, The apprentice.:-D

What do you think is the subject within the subordinate clause in blue?
(I think the 'when searching' part is the one that is confusing you - it doesn't mean 'when (you are) searching')

Okay Barb_D. I will analyze your last answer in order to know this type of grammar structure; it's indeed pretty instructive!

This was the same sort of answer the one who posted it told me, but the last clause you wrote ─ searchin sends you into peals of laughter ─ did the trick.

This might rather be a a reduced clause of: «You know you're still young at heart when searching for a catchy translation which sends you and your colleages into peals of laughter.»

Do you know how this type of grammar structure is known?

Thanks.

No, it's not a reduced clause. The basic subject/verb of the clause that starts with "when" is "searching sends."

And you should capitalize "Facebook." It's a proper noun.

Thanks Tzfujimino, now I'm catching on the sentence a lot better.

The subject of the subordinate clause is the noun phrase searching for a catchy translation, being searching the head noun, so its verb must agree with it and consequently it's sends.

So the sentence means:

1) Main clause:

You know you're still young at heart (have a yuthfull spirit).

2) Subordinate clause:

When seaching for a catchy translation (a seach for a catchy translation) sends you and your colleagues (it sends you as well as your colleagues) into peals of laughter.

3) I think this whole sentence may also be re-written as follows:

''You know you're still young at heart when a seach for a catchy translation sends you, as well as your colleagues into peals of laughter''.

Thank you very much for this analysis Tzfujimino, and thanks to all who have participated. I love this forum; I haven't found another one like this regarding phonetics, phonology and grammar issues.

Last edited:
Just need a comma after "colleagues" in your rewrite.

Good from you Barb:D!; thanks for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back