Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
South Korea
Hi guys

I want to ask you a question. I have read a sentence in a book and don't know why they wrote it :?:
"The earliest written records from the great civilization of ancient Greece date back to the ninth century BC, but the height of that civilization, the "classical period", came several hundred years later, beginning a little before 500 BC"

Thank you very much :)

canadian45

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The sentence is fine.

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If you change "beginning" to "and began", I think the meaning will remain intact. So, we can say that "V-ing after comma" sometimes means "and + verb".

Apart from that, it, for example, might mean:

There was no evidence at the crime scene, putting the police into a difficult situation. (=There was no evidence at the crime scene, which put the police into a difficult situation. / There was no evidence at the crime scene. This put the police into a difficult situation.)

I'm a non-native English speaker. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Newsunflower:

IF I understand one of my favorite books correctly, I may have the grammatical explanation.

1. To analyze a sentence, it is always a good idea to simplify it as much as possible.

A. So let's analyze: "The height of that civilization came several hundred years later, beginning a little before 500 BC."

2. If you carefully think about that sentence, you will notice that it seems to consist of two sentences:

"The height of that civilization came several hundred years later. It [the height of that civilization that came several hundred years later] began a little before 500 B.C."

a. If you want to speak like that, it is, in my opinion, perfectly correct.

3. But speakers usually express those two sentences in three smoother ways -- especially in writing:

a. "The height of that civilization came several hundred years later, so that it began a little before 500 B.C."

b. "The height of that civilization came several hundred years later, beginning a little before 500 B.C."

c. "The height of that civilization came several hundred years later, thus beginning a little before 500 B.C."

James

If I have given an accurate explanation, all credit for this explanation goes to George Oliver Curme in Vol. II of A Grammar of the English Language (1931), page 293.

Last edited:

newsunflower93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you guys! I think your explanation is correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.