Called a bakery chain and they tell me that they can't custom make a cake for me. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Called a bakery chain and they tell me that they can't custom make a cake for me. I go to another branch and ask the same question and got a different answer and I say to them:

I've called the other chain quite a few times and that's not what they say (about making a custom cake)!

VS

I've called the other chain quite a few times and that's not what they said (about making a custom cake)!

Are both okay?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You called the other branch and that's not what they said.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Isn't it possible that one branch will do custom-made cakes and one won't? Being a chain doesn't mean that all the branches do the same thing.

B

B45

Isn't it possible that one branch will do custom-made cakes and one won't? Being a chain doesn't mean that all the branches do the same thing.

You are right. So, are both okay here:

I've called the other chain quite a few times and that's not what they say.

VS

I've called the other chain quite a few times and that's not what they said.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Your question is a little confusing.
It appears that you are calling a number of branches within a single chain. However, you say you want to write "I've called the other chain quite a few times…", which is inconsistent with your story.
It also seems improbable that you would call one other branch several times to get the same answer, so "I've called the other branch…" is unlikely.

Perhaps you have called several branches in the chain with your query, in which case:
"I've called (the/some) other branches and that's not what they say/said".

If you have in fact called one other branch several times, then:
"I've called the other branch quite a few times and that's not what they say/said".

Both "say" and "said" work for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you have called several other branches in the chain and been told "No, we don't do custom-made cakes", you would probably be very relieved when you finally got one which said yes. You would be likely to say something like "Wow! Finally! I've called six or seven other branches [of this chain] and they all said no. I'm so happy you can do this cake for me. I was starting to think I'd have to make it myself!"

Status
Not open for further replies.