Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

Please check. Can we say "Hindi language has got impured because of the involvement of so many Urdu, Persian and English words. There are so many words that we do not know the hindi meaning of"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Have you checked that "impured" is a word (either as an adjective or a past participle)?
2. Why have you not capitalised any of the languages?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please read this from Wikipedia, tufguy.
[h=2]History[/h] Further information: History of Hindustani
The dialect of Hindustani on which Standard Hindi is based is Khariboli, the vernacular of Delhi and the surrounding western Uttar Pradesh and southern Uttarakhand . This dialect acquired linguistic prestige in the Mughal Empire (1600s) and became known as Urdu, "the language of the court". In the late 19th century, the movement standardising a written language from Khariboli, for the Indian masses in North India, started to standardise Hindi as a separate language from Urdu, which was learnt by the elite. In 1881 Bihar accepted Hindi as its sole official language, replacing Urdu, and thus became the first state of India to adopt Hindi.
After independence, the government of India instituted the following conventions:[SUP][original research?][/SUP]

• standardisation of grammar: In 1954, the Government of India set up a committee to prepare a grammar of Hindi; The committee's report was released in 1958 as "A Basic Grammar of Modern Hindi"
  • standardisation of the orthography, using the Devanagari script, by the Central Hindi Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Culture to bring about uniformity in writing, to improve the shape of some Devanagari characters, and introducing diacritics to express sounds from other languages.
The Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi as the Official Language of the Union on 14 September 1949. Hence, it is celebrated as Hindi Day.
[h=2]Comparison with Modern Standard Urdu[/h] See also: Hindi–Urdu controversy, Hindustani phonology and Hindustani grammar
Linguistically, Hindi and Urdu are the same language. Hindi is written in the Devanagari script and uses more Sanskrit words, whereas Urdu is written in the Persian script and uses more Persian words.Hindi and Urdu speakers 99% understand each other when talking.
[h=2][/h]

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes I checked "Impured" is the past participle of impure. What about my parahgraph?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only listing I have found for "impure" as a verb marked it as archaic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I checked that "impured" is the past participle of impure. What about my [STRIKE]parahgraph[/STRIKE] paragraph?

I couldn't even find the archaic listing that Mike mentioned. We don't use "impure" like that any more - it is used pretty much exclusively as an adjective. Try to rewrite your sentence using a different verb/phrase and remember, this time, to capitalise the names of all the languages.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found it in Webster's Third.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can we say "Hindi language has got impured because of the involvement of so many Urdu, Persian and English words. There are so many words that we do not know the hindi meaning of"?

No we can't- it needs a complete re-write. Also, words borrowed from other languages are called loan words.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hindi language has got impured because of the involvement of so many Urdu, Persian and English words.
Can it be rewritten as 'The Hindi language has got mixed with many Urdu, Persian and English words'?

Not a teacher.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please read this from Wikipedia, tufguy.
History

Further information: History of Hindustani
The dialect of Hindustani on which Standard Hindi is based is Khariboli, the vernacular of Delhi and the surrounding western Uttar Pradesh and southern Uttarakhand . This dialect acquired linguistic prestige in the Mughal Empire (1600s) and became known as Urdu, "the language of the court". In the late 19th century, the movement standardising a written language from Khariboli, for the Indian masses in North India, started to standardise Hindi as a separate language from Urdu, which was learnt by the elite. In 1881 Bihar accepted Hindi as its sole official language, replacing Urdu, and thus became the first state of India to adopt Hindi.
After independence, the government of India instituted the following conventions:[SUP][original research?][/SUP]

• standardisation of grammar: In 1954, the Government of India set up a committee to prepare a grammar of Hindi; The committee's report was released in 1958 as "A Basic Grammar of Modern Hindi"
  • standardisation of the orthography, using the Devanagari script, by the Central Hindi Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Culture to bring about uniformity in writing, to improve the shape of some Devanagari characters, and introducing diacritics to express sounds from other languages.
The Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi as the Official Language of the Union on 14 September 1949. Hence, it is celebrated as Hindi Day.
Comparison with Modern Standard Urdu

See also: Hindi–Urdu controversy, Hindustani phonology and Hindustani grammar
Linguistically, Hindi and Urdu are the same language. Hindi is written in the Devanagari script and uses more Sanskrit words, whereas Urdu is written in the Persian script and uses more Persian words.Hindi and Urdu speakers 99% understand each other when talking.

I once saw a lovely film, (I wish I knew the title), in Urdu with English subtitles: it was about an Urdu language poet, a celebrity, and he kept having poetry meetings in his living room with other men; his wife was a former singer, though they tried to hide the fact, and kept bringing them large plates of food as they composed verse. Hopefully someone here will know the one I mean.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Loan words okay, so what would be the correct formation?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it correct to say 'Hindi includes many loanwords from Urdu, Persian and English.'?

Not a teacher.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well Hindi and Urdu are the same language, really. Urdu is simply written in a modified Arabic script.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, they are the same language. That's why I posted the Wikipedia link for tufguy (and any other interested person) to read. To say that Hindi has been corrupted by, or even borrowed words from Urdu is completely nonsensical.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If English had remained a "pure" language it would have no French or Latin words in it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If English had remained a pure language, it would be mostly pronouns. :lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If English had remained a pure language, teenagers would be very, very quiet. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a bad thing. :cool:

Status