[Application] Motivation letter for a exchange program, is it well phrased ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manuklass

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everybody,

So I am enrolling in this exchange program and I wanted some opinions on my motivations letter. I am a native french speaker so bear with me :).

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Mister XYZ and I am a first year student in electrical engineering at University XYZ. For the past few years traveling as been a growing interest of mine and this is what first led me to read and inform myself about the exchange program at the University ABC. In the process of giving you my application I am pleased to express my enthusiasm of joining this program with all the opportunities is implies.

In my opinion one of the most fundamental parts of learning is adopting a ever changing academic perspective and more often than not, jumping out of your comfort zone. There are many ways to reach this mind-set and for me traveling is one of the most salient. Yes, traveling brings us to adapt to a new culture, a second language or a new home but also adapt to the smaller things like new friendships that ultimately could lead to a world of opportunities.

A few years ago, I enrolled in a 2 week educational trip in Ecuador that was organized by my biology teacher at CEGEP XYZ. Being my first travel experience, it reshaped my entire conception of what traveling is about. And for me it’s about meeting new people, learning about their story and their culture and ultimately gaining insight about the inner working of our own society. Of course 2 week wasn’t enough so last year me and 2 other friends organised a one month journey in southeast Asia visiting Laos, Thaïland, Singapore and Indonesia. Now, those trips gave me some experience in travelling but it mainly gave me confidence and independence for being able to plan yet another, longer and more challenging excursion. I am thrilled that this next trip will be in Australia at ABC.

Another important feature of the challenge is going to a english-only speaking country to perfect my written and spoken language skills. I am hoping that traveling to Australia for a few months will enable me to speak more fluently in english to maybe become a near-native speaker. This is very important to me because one of my major goals later in life is to have an international career. Moreover, studying abroad at ABC is the perfect opportunity to expand my academic experience and create meaningful connections with other dedicated students in engineering.

For all the reasons listed above, this is why i chose ABC not for the outstanding first impression it had on me, but for the challenges it offers and for the social intercultural connection it provides.

Sincerely,

Mister XYZ

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Mr. XYZ and I am a first year student in electrical engineering at XYZ University (or The University of XYZ). For the past few years traveling has been a growing interest of mine and this is what first led me to read and inform myself about the exchange program at XYZ University (or The University of XYZ). In the process of submitting my application I am pleased to express my enthusiasm towards joining this program with all the opportunities is offers.

In my opinion one of the most fundamental parts of learning is adopting an ever changing academic perspective and more often than not, jumping out of your comfort zone. There are many ways to reach this mindset and for me traveling is one of the most salient. Yes, traveling brings us to adapt to a new culture, a second language or a new home but also adapt to the smaller things like new friendships that ultimately could lead to a world of opportunities.

A few years ago, I enrolled in a 2 week educational trip in Ecuador that was organized by my biology teacher at CEGEP XYZ. Being my first (overseas) travel experience, it reshaped my entire conception of what traveling is about. And for me it’s about meeting new people, learning about their stories and their cultures and ultimately gaining insight about the inner working of our own society. Of course two weeks wasn’t enough, so last year I along with two other friends organised a one month trip to southeast Asia visiting Laos, Thaïland, Singapore and Indonesia. Now, those trips gave me some experience in traveling but it mainly gave me confidence and independence for being able to plan yet another, longer and more challenging excursion. I am thrilled that this next trip will be in Australia at ABC.

Another important feature of the challenge is going to an English-only speaking country to perfect my written and spoken language skills. I am hoping that traveling to Australia for a few months will enable me to speak more fluently in English to maybe become a near-native speaker. This is very important to me because one of my major goals later in life is to have an international career. Moreover, studying abroad at ABC is the perfect opportunity to expand my academic experience and create meaningful connections with other dedicated students in engineering.

For all the reasons listed above, I chose ABC not only for the outstanding first impression it had on me, but for the challenges it offers and for the social intercultural connection it provides.

Sincerely,

Mr. XYZ

Status
Not open for further replies.