How to improve verbal communication effectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I am working on a IT company. The daily job is writing code. During the job performance review, my boss wanted me to improve my English ability. My native language is Chinese.

I know it is a big challenge for me. At home I speak Chinese. I have masters degree in US but I came to this country too late comparing to other younger guys. My boss think that my writing is good but verbal ability. There is no too much opportunity in the team to practice English. I am in a small team, the others are quite busy on the coding. To be honest, these guys speak too fast and use advanced English so I am a little retard to follow them. Our company may provide me the English course training opportunity.

But I don't think it is enough, I want to locate other resources as well. There are some youtube videos but overwhelming information makes me faint.

Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]Our[/STRIKE] My company may be prepared to pay for an English language course for me [STRIKE]provide me the English course training opportunity.[/STRIKE]

Have you looked at the possibility of getting some elocution lessons then? ;-)

vincejja

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One simple thing you could do is watch English television shows. It greatly helped a friend of mine who was trying to improve his English. He was a native French speaker.

Alex S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Watch movies and shows in English
2. Read books ONLY in English
3. Use different chats and messengers to meet new friends who speak English and talk English with them
4. Try to write some short stories or essays in English to practice your language

Good luck! :)

Nafisah

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Dominica
Effective verbal communication is very important in every field of life.
1. Reading newspaper, watching English movies
2. Make some mental notes first.
3. Practice in the mirror
4. Read a lot.
5. Speaking in Informal Settings
6. Practice open/relaxed body language
7. Speaking in Public/Formal Settings

Last edited by a moderator:

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Effective verbal communication is very important in every field of life.
1. Reading newspaper, watching English movies
2. Make some mental notes first.
3. Practice in the mirror
4. Read a lot.
5. Speaking in Informal Settings
6. Practice open/relaxed body language
7. Speaking in Public/Formal Settings

Yes, I have amazon prime video. Do I have to set caption on? Otherwise I don't understand the context of the movies.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your title: Don't be redundant, and only put question marks after questions. Choices:

How to improve my verbal communication

How to communicate more effectively
How can I improve my verbal communication?
How can I communicate more effectively?

I work at an IT company. The daily job is writing code. During the job performance review, my boss asked me to improve my English ability. My native language is Chinese.

I know it is a big challenge for me. At home I speak Chinese. I have a masters degree in the US, but I came to this country too late compared to other younger guys. My boss think that my writing is good but not my verbal ability. There is no too much opportunity in the team to practice English. I am in a small team. The others are quite busy on the coding. To be honest, these guys speak too fast and use advanced English, so I am a little too slow to follow them. Our company may provide me an English course training opportunity.

But I don't think it is enough. I want to find other resources, as well. There are some YouTube videos but overwhelming information makes me faint.

Thanks.

Your writing is very good for a non-English speaker. Written English is difficult.

It takes years to master spoken English. The fact that you're taking steps to do it is a good sign. Lessons are always good. So is spending lots of time with English speakers and asking them questions about pronunciation.

Do you have Chinese friends who speak good English? You might ask them to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.