Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you say "not yet" or "nochyet" - I have a friend who says the latter and was wondering if that was an acceptable way or saying it (since I know you can combine some sounds e.g. would you becomes woodjew)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you say "not yet" or "nochyet" - I have a friend who says the latter and was wondering if that was an acceptable way or saying it (since I know you can combine some sounds e.g. would you becomes woodjew)

Woody Allen has some funny things to say about that.

I always liked "Jeet chet?"

Here in Maine, "Probably Saturday" is "Prolly Saddy."

This site is really for ESL students' questions.

Ze Grammer Policia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would drop the /t/ which I believe is a feature of connected speech called elision. And perhaps there's a glottal stop in there, too.

I think if you said it like previously mentioned with the // sound that's known as assimilation.

;-)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Depending on who I'm talking to and how fast I'm speaking, there would be no glottal stop, one glottal stop or two glottal stops in there.

Not yet, noʔyet, noʔyeʔ.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
(Not a Teacher. Englishman)

I would agree with Roman55 for BrE. But it depends on the situation, the speed at which you are talking, and also to whom you are speaking. In formal situations such as interviews then probably no glottal stops. With friends or in less formal environments then probably either one or two would be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.