Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hey there,

It is not that big a deal but it still annoys me that when I say "Smarting off" and "Smart enough" its exactly the same pronounciation. So I guess you can figure out which of them I'm saying with the context but I'd like to know if there's a way to differentiate them verbally or even if I'm doing it wrong. Thanks :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They don't have the same pronunciation. The "-ing" ending of "smarting" should be enunciated clearly. Additionally, "-ing off" is not pronounced the same as "enough".

Enough = inn-uff (I don't do phonetic symbols).
-ing off = ing off

Tedri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thanks for the phonetics, I must admit I rarely pronounce the -ing. I assume I should from now on.

I'm going to try to emphasize it and see if it's better. Thanks.

With regard to the context "smarting off" ,can be used when you speak of a mean kid, for instance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the phonetics​. I [STRIKE]gotta[/STRIKE] have got to/must admit I rarely pronounce the -ing. I assume I should from now on.

I'm [STRIKE]gonna[/STRIKE] going to try to emphasize it and see if it's better. Thanks.

[STRIKE]For[/STRIKE] With regard to the context, "smarting off" can be used when you speak of a mean kid, for instance.

Please note my amendments above. Don't use textspeak/chatlish like "gotta" and "gonna" - use full English words.

I don't associate "to smart off" with being mean. I associate it with being cheeky or talking back to adults. A child might be told off for answering back rudely to a teacher or to a parent. I would expect to hear "I'm fed up with you smarting off. Go to your room and don't come out until dinner".

Tedri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I will pay more attention to my writing sorry about that.

Your definition of "smart off" is perfectly fine, most of the time when I hear it, it refers to a kid who is really violent verbally.

Status
Not open for further replies.