I guess I need to hop off the internet after all.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I guess I need to hop off the internet after all.

Can the phrase "hop off" be used interchangeably with "leave" in the sentence above in a very casual setting or does it sound weird to you? I feel like I've heard it before but I can't find examples which support that right now.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I take it you want us to presume you're attempting at all times to sound like a gigazoomer.

I think hop off is okay but leave is no good.

However, you might get some quite different judgements from some of the gigaboomers here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Despite the fact that I would use "I'm going to hop on the net for a bit" to indicate that I'm going online for a while, I wouldn't use "hop off" for going offline. I'd probably just say "I'm logging off/out". Mind you, I never need to say either of those to anyone!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even a one-word sentence must start with a capital letter and end with a closing punctuation mark. I pointed this out in another of your threads yesterday. We like to see that you're heeding our advice.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's okay to me, especially if you've been online for a while but need to go do something else. I agree 'leave' doesn't work.

I guess I'd better hop off the internet and run some errands.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can the phrase "hop off" be used interchangeably with "leave" in the sentence above in a very casual setting or does it sound weird to you?

I'd never heard/seen it before, and it really does sound/look weird to me.

The internet's not like a bus.

Last edited:

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
What do you mean by 'leave the internet'?
Not browse it anymore for an indefinite amount of time; maybe a day, maybe weeks.
Even a one-word sentence must start with a capital letter and end with a closing punctuation mark. I pointed this out in another of your threads yesterday. We like to see that you're heeding our advice.
I do, most of the time. But I felt like that was a more casual chatting situation, so I went with the more casual looking style.
It's okay to me, especially if you've been online for a while but need to go do something else. I agree 'leave' doesn't work.

I guess I'd better hop off the internet and run some errands.
I suppose a while is a couple of hours?
Why does "leave" not work?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you're imagining the web/internet as something that you ride like a vehicle—think of a bus or a tram—then 'hop off' is a good word. I think this metaphor of a ride makes reasonable sense. It implies that you customarily use the web for short periods at a time.

If you use leave, the metaphor is that the web is a place or possibly a club. I don't think it's unreasonable to think of it like that even if it isn't normal to think in that way, but it does suggest that your being in that place is permanent and also that your decision to move on to a different place is permanent. Think about how you would leave your hometown or leave a football club.

Which verb would you use in German?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not browse it anymore for an indefinite amount of time; maybe a day, maybe weeks.
I'd say "I'm going to have a break from being online for [period of time]" or "I'm going to have a digital detox for [period of time]".
I do, most of the time. But I felt like that was a more casual chatting situation, so I went with the more casual looking style.
This isn't a chatroom. It's a language forum. Everything here should be written, capitalised and punctuated correctly.
I suppose a while is a couple of hours?
There is no definitive definition of "a while". It all depends on context.