Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello everyone,
Can you guys please judge and guess my accent, like where I'm from, etc? I'm trying to improve it. (Try not to look at my profile; I think it displays my country)
Please be honest, Thanks.

AUDIO FILE: https://voca.ro/1gxU87fdXstc

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I heard "Thank you" at the end.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can only assume that Tarheel, for some reason, had trouble playing the rest of the audio. I understood every word of it. It was very clear. I had already looked at your profile before I read the post so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion on where I would have thought you were from. I can say, however, that you don't speak with what I would consider (based on the people I know in the UK, at least) to be a Pakistani accent.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's probable that @emsr2d2 's hearing is better than mine. A real conversation might go something like this. (See below.)

Egbert: Something something something.
Sam: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand you. Would you might repeating that?

Often the person will say it exactly the same way the second time, which is not helpful.

Last edited:

TheVortex71

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I could hear something, but I didn't understand what was being said. I guess I could listen to it again.
I'd appreciate that.

TheVortex71

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I can only assume that Tarheel, for some reason, had trouble playing the rest of the audio. I understood every word of it. It was very clear. I had already looked at your profile before I read the post so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion on where I would have thought you were from. I can say, however, that you don't speak with what I would consider (based on the people I know in the UK, at least) to be a Pakistani accent.
thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My guess would have been Singapore based on the "but" ending with a glottal stop rather than a t, but since you've told us you're an Urdu speaker from Pakistan, I have to believe you. Your cadence and your accent are not stereotypically south Asian.