Could you judge my accent and tell me how it sounds like? Any suggestions/pointers on it would be really helpful. Thank you.

• Thread starter skjoo
  • Start date
  • Views : 765
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skjoo

https://voca.ro/1ctr1iHtMKdC I am aiming for a Standard British/modern RP-ish accent. here's the transcript:

Herbert Spencer was a philosopher alive at the same time as Darwin. He published his famous book Social Static just a few years before Darwin brought out Origin. And he too thought that all social safety nets and aid for the poor should be scrapped. He supported what’s called ‘laissez faire,’ where you have a small government that doesn’t do a lot of regulations or interference cause they'll only end up messing it up! Government, he says, is a necessary evil at best! And Spencer was very influenced by Malthus. He kept a lot of the stuff about hard work being what you're here to do and the brutality all being part of a grander plan but he wasn't a Christian and he cut out all the religious stuff: "The poverty of the incapable, the distresses that come upon the imprudent, the starvation of the idle, and those shoulderings aside of the weak by the strong... are the decrees of a large, far-seeing benevolence." So by the time we get to Spencer this idea that hard work is your lot in life has been secularised. With Malthus you have a miserable life of toil but maybe you get to go to Heaven afterwards. With Spencer... "Nah, you have a miserable life of toil but markets and competition and wars are ultimately good for society.”

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a speaker of AmE I found it easy to understand. Everything was perfectly clear and unambiguous. I must leave the question of how close it is to modern RP to our BrE speakers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's very understandable. I would be confident in saying that either you didn't grow up in the UK or you did but were surrounded by Indian English speakers. The main error I noticed was your tendency to pronounce "w" as "v". It was very obvious the first three times in the recording.

S

skjoo

It's very understandable. I would be confident in saying that either you didn't grow up in the UK or you did but were surrounded by Indian English speakers. The main error I noticed was your tendency to pronounce "w" as "v". It was very obvious the first three times in the recording.
Thanks for your response! Honestly, I don't know how native speakers manage to get it right every single time. I have been working on it for quite a while now, yet I make that mistake. On a side note, were the intonation/word stress OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.