to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure & meaning of dummy bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure & meaning of dummy bolt

Hello everybody!

The lower locking bolt bracket is secured to the locking eye of the rudder trunk by the dummy bolt, to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure. (Drw.104152).

The above-mentioned sentence is about installing a thruster on a ship. I am not much of an expert on these things, hence I am asking your advice.

Does "to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure" refer to the mentioned dummy bolt?

What is the meaning of a dummy bolt generally?

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure & meaning of dummy bo

A dummy part is not a functioning or final part. In this case, the bolt is used to hold the part in place while it is being welded. The bolt is not designed to stay in place or to hold the part under the normal load and conditions of its use.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Re: to be used when welding the bracket to the ship’s structure & meaning of dummy bo

I conclude from your reply that my reasoning was right. Was it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes. The dummy bolt is what is "to be used when welding..."

Status
Not open for further replies.