5 years of latin did pay off, suck it, dad!= ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does the sentence mean as follows?

"5 years of latin did pay off, suck it, dad!"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What does the following sentence mean?

"5 years of latin did pay off, suck it, dad!"
Where did you find that sentence? It's very poorly written.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It means: "Five years of Latin dance lessons did indeed make me a successful contestant on So You Think You Can Dance, so there, Dad."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Just a gentle reminder to students that even in 2015, the S-word is still considered very vulgar by many people.

If that young person had said, "S--- it" to his boss, that young person would probably have been fired (dismissed) or at least given an official warning.

I respectfully suggest that learners NOT include that expression in their active vocabulary. NEVER use it, even with friends. If you do, one day you may

accidentially say it to your boss, teacher, or business prospect.

Generally speaking, the S-word means that you do not like something or someone:

Mona: What do you think about our teacher?
James: He s---s! (He's not a good teacher. Maybe he does not explain things clearly, maybe he has an unpleasant personality, etc.)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While I agree it's not always polite, I disagree that in this day and age it's still considered vulgar. I hear this word on a daily basis, even in the workplace. Depending on context, I'd say it has even become innocuous. I've had employers and teachers use the phrase 'It sucks.' 'It/that sucks' is a common way of expressing displeasure at something or to commiserate about a disagreeable situation.

Suggesting that someone sucks is a little more offensive, since it implies ineptitude. However, in my mind, the offense comes from the suggestion of ineptitude, rather than the phrase itself.

'Suck it' is a little more vulgar, as it can carry implications of fellatio, although not always.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[1]I've had ... teachers use the phrase 'It sucks.'

[2] 'Suck it' is a little more vulgar, as it can carry implications of ___ , although not always.

[1] I have no doubt that, at least in my American city public (government-sponsored) schools, a teacher who said that would be asked to refrain. I have no doubt that some parents would be outraged if their children's teachers used such language on a regular basis.

[2] In my opinion, since international students come here for advice, I do believe that we should suggest that they avoid those words. Yes, I agree that they may hear it in the business world, but that does not mean that they should use it. Some learners who come from certain cultures would be shocked if they knew the literal meaning of those two words. Their innocent use of those words could adversely affect their success in the global economy.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether it's 1915 or 2015, most people lose a bit of respect for people (male and female) who regularly use coarse language.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Suck it' is a little more vulgar, as it can carry implications of fellatio, although not always.

It's a fairly recent arrival in the UK, and I would say it's just imported slang here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that a child saying "Suck it" to a teacher or a parent was being disrespectful or rude but I don't consider it vulgar. As far as saying that something "sucks", that is simply usage imported from AmE and it's not vulgar at all here.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say "suck it" from a child to a parent is pretty disrespectful. You'd have to know someone really well to be able to say it with laughter and not have it be offensive/rude.

However, "that sucks" is so universal that it's hard for me to think that anyone would be offended these days.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

[1] I have no doubt that, at least in my American city public (government-sponsored) schools, a teacher who said that would be asked to refrain. I have no doubt that some parents would be outraged if their children's teachers used such language on a regular basis.

[2] In my opinion, since international students come here for advice, I do believe that we should suggest that they avoid those words. Yes, I agree that they may hear it in the business world, but that does not mean that they should use it. Some learners who come from certain cultures would be shocked if they knew the literal meaning of those two words. Their innocent use of those words could adversely affect their success in the global economy.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether it's 1915 or 2015, most people lose a bit of respect for people (male and female) who regularly use coarse language.

I agree. One need not to be a prude to value and propound a more eloquent and enlightened use of the language -- without clichés, especially with respect to second language learners.

--lotus

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lotus, are you also agreeing that "that sucks" is "coarse language" in 2015?

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I too see and hear a lot of that type of language used by adults and children (teens mostly) alike. The fact is, there is generally no need to use it. It's used so much, it's almost cliché.

It's easy to use the most common and jolting phrase. It takes effort to be articulate. It's the same with personalities. It's easy to be mean -- it takes effort to be kind.

While it's true that succinctness and brevity are laudable attributes; more often than not, these phrases are used because the speaker could not or did not think of any other way of saying it.

By the way, if a child says "That sucks!" in a classroom, the teacher might think twice about his/her communications and interpersonal skills.

--lotus

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Poorly' modifies 'written'. It means it's badly written; it contains a lot of mistakes.

Now, as I asked before, where did you find that sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
By the way, if a child says "That sucks!" in a classroom, the teacher might think twice about his/her communications and interpersonal skills.

--lotus

That aside, I would still be interested to hear your answer to Barb's previous question - do you consider "That sucks" to be coarse​ in 2015?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Poorly' modifies 'written'. It means it's badly written; it contains a lot of mistakes.

Now, as I asked before, where did you find that sentence?
It is from the other computer forum.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wonder whether the OP could provide the link to it, but I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is from the other computer forum.

What exactly is "the other computer forum"? A computer forum suggests a forum about computers.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What exactly is "the other computer forum"? A computer forum suggests a forum about computers.
Yes.
The members are from this forum who posted the comments about how to build the gaming computer.
But,something was happening at these discussion about how to build the computer.
I'm sorry that I can't provide the link to this site, because this is my policy, mine rule.
I posted here for learning, not to attack the members from the computer forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.