Puff, like in "He is a puff"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefsson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well I heard a expression they don't teach in English class here in Sweden..
And it was the word puff. In a sentence as "He is a puff". I thought that it meant the same thing as "he is gay/homo". So am I right?

I believe that is correct, although it may be dated. We don't hear it any more in Canada. Variant: poof.

"A puff" for "a homosexual" (or simply a not very manly male) is sometimes heard in British English, as a variant of "poof" (with a hint of "powderpuff").

I would say that it is used as a consciously dated term.

("Poof" itself has been reclaimed, to some extent; a well known tv singing quartet is called "Four poofs and a piano".)

MrP

It is used much more often in slang in the UK than the USA. In fact, in the USA it really does not have that meaning anymore.

"A puff" for "a homosexual" (or simply a not very manly male) is sometimes heard in British English, as a variant of "poof" (with a hint of "powderpuff").

I would say that it is used as a consciously dated term.

("Poof" itself has been reclaimed, to some extent; a well known tv singing quartet is called "Four poofs and a piano".)

MrP

:up: Yes, dated. And now mostly used as in your example, I think. A gay man might say something like 'Why should what I think matter. I'm just a sad old poof'.

b

I believe that is correct, although it may be dated. We don't hear it any more in Canada. Variant: poof.

Could you please tell me what does mean by 'dated' in this statement.
I guess that it means 'Old' . Is it correct?

Thanks in advance..
:)

Could you please tell me what does mean by 'dated' in this statement.
I guess that it means 'Old' . Is it correct?

Thanks in advance..
:)

Not just old, but old-fashioned.

buggles (not a teacher)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back