Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
Does the bold part suggest that when the giant turned its head, she could catch a glimpse of the great, stupid, puff-cheeked face ?
Doesn't "And all that bushy stuff—I suppose it’s heather and birds’ nests, really— would do quite well for hair and beard" imply that she could see its face when she was thinking?

“I do believe,” thought Jill, “that all the stories about giants might have come from those funny rocks. If you were coming along here when it was half dark, you could easily think those piles of rock were giants. Look at that one, now! You could almost imagine that the lump on top was a head. It would be rather too big for the body, but it would do well enough for an ugly giant. And all that bushy stuff—I suppose it’s heather and birds’ nests, really—would do quite well for hair and beard. And the things sticking out on each side are quite like ears. They’d be horribly big, but then I daresay giants would have big ears, like elephants. And— o-o-oh!—”
Her blood froze. The thing moved. It was a real giant. There was no mistaking it; she had seen it turn its head. She had caught a glimpse of the great, stupid, puff-cheeked face. All the things were giants, not rocks.

Source: The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does the bold part suggest that when the giant turned its head, she could catch a glimpse of the great, stupid, puff-cheeked face ?
It's more than a suggestion. It's a statement of fact that she could see the face.

Doesn't "And all that bushy stuff—I suppose it’s heather and birds’ nests, really— would do quite well for hair and beard" imply that she could see its face when she was thinking?

Yes, she sees a face in nature (perhaps something like this) , before she realizes it's an actual living giant. We can't tell for sure if she's seeing a frontal view or profile view of the face and head.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She was seeing faces in the rocks and then saw a real giant, who turned his head. You can see faces in rocks, but they don't turn their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.