Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the definition in the phrase "a combat pilot was crazy by definition" joking? Or is it serious based the opinion of a pacifist?

========================
Catch-22 originated as the title of a 1961 novel by Joseph Heller. (Heller had originally planned to title his novel Catch-18, but the publication of Leon Uris's Mila 18 persuaded him to change the number.) The novel's catch-22 was as follows: a combat pilot was crazy by definition (he would have to be crazy to fly combat missions) and since army regulations stipulated that insanity was justification for grounding, a pilot could avoid flight duty by simply asking, but if he asked, he was demonstrating his sanity (anyone who wanted to get out of combat must be sane) and had to keep flying. Catch-22 soon entered the language as the label for any irrational, circular, and impossible situation.

Source: Merriam Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The novel is meant to be satirical.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, I don't think you'd have to be a pacifist to think/agree/believe that someone who actually wanted to be a combat pilot probably had to be at least a little bit crazy!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Also, I don't think you'd have to be a pacifist to think/agree/believe that someone who actually wanted to be a combat pilot probably had to be at least a little bit crazy!

Indeed. A very intetesting book was published a few years ago. I can't recall the author's name now but the title was When Thunder Rolled. The author became a jet fighter pilot simply because he thought it was the coolest job in the world. Apparently it did not occur to him that he would be ordered to bomb and kill people. That happened when he was sent to Viet Nam. At first he resolved to refuse his orders, be branded a coward, and pay the penalties. But a senior colleague talked him into flying with the promise that he would not have to drop his bombs. The rest of the book is the story of how the Air Force inveigled him gradually into becoming an active combat pilot.

By the way, the book is surprisingly well written considering that the author had never before written for publication.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the definition in the phrase "a combat pilot was crazy by definition" joking? Or is it serious based the opinion of a pacifist? . . .
The expression "by definition" is a fixed phrase, and it's never meant literally. He means that you have to be crazy to fly combat missions.

It's not about pacifism. It's about self-preservation. Yossarian does not want to die, and he doesn't understand people who put themselves in danger.

Are you reading it? It's a very funny book.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's the funniest book I've ever read.
:)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Me too. I have fond memories of getting absolutely helpless with laughter.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't think of many books that have made me laugh like that. It's stunning. An interviewer said to him that he had never written a book that great since and he answered that no one else had.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of many books that have made me laugh like that. It's stunning. An interviewer said to him that he had never written a book that great since and he answered that no one else had.
I did roll on the floor reading Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. "The only thing that worried me was the ether . . . ."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hunter was a mixed bag, but he was brilliant when he hit the spot.

This from an interview:

"The first time I noticed George W Bush," Hunter Thompson tells me, "was when he passed out in my bathtub at the Hyatt Regency in Houston. He was with a guy who had come to sell..."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yossarian's main concern was that whenever he went on a mission people were trying to kill him. (They were.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe not when they bombed their own airstrip.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And strafed it. It was in the contract.

Status