Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

In my language, there is a word used to describe a girl with a simple, naive albeit beautiful face typically associate with girls who live in villages. The word literally translates to "village beauty". Example: Sara is a village beauty. It means she looks simple and has a face which looks very naive [but beautiful] and meets the "old-fashioned" standards of beauty but it doesn't appeal to a modern urban audience.

Is there such a word in English?

Last edited:
Hello.

In my language, there is a word used to describe a girl with a simple, [STRIKE]albeit[/STRIKE] beautiful native face typically associated with girls who live in villages.

Albeit implies that native faces aren't beautiful.

The word literally translates to "village beauty". Example: Sara is a village beauty. It means she looks simple and has a face which looks very naive [but beautiful] and meets the "old-fashioned" standards of beauty but it doesn't appeal to a modern urban audience.

Is there such a word in English?
We might call her the girl next door.

Here, clothes might give clues to where someone is from, but faces aren't different in the country than in the city.

I apologize as I meant "naive" and not "native"! A girl who has a naive look and is not considered to be classy or modern. You know, typical of some of the girls from rural areas.

The problem is that we don't consider people to have a "naive look", nor do we say/believe that girls from rural areas don't look classy or modern. I think there's a cultural issue going on here. The only thing that separates a girl from a rural area from a girl from an urban area is geography.

And I forgot to mention: It's better to use young woman, not girl, when you're talking about a young woman. (The girl next door is a fixed expression. We can't fix that.)

The problem is that we don't consider people to have a "naive look", nor do we say/believe that girls from rural areas don't look classy or modern. I think there's a cultural issue going on here. The only thing that separates a girl from a rural area from a girl from an urban area is geography.

I perfectly understand. But people have biases everywhere. The term "village beauty" in my language is considered to be offensive and not used by polite people.

I perfectly understand. But people have biases everywhere. The term "village beauty" in my language is considered to be offensive and not used by polite people.
1. Nonetheless, naive people don't look different than other people. It's a personality trait, not a physical trait. Look it up.

2. We know that eastern culture is not like western. But as an English student, you should accept that when you ask questions here, we don't just comment on grammar, vocabulary, and usage. We also help you learn the mores of the English-speaking world. It will help you when you deal with us in the real world.

3. We don't have an offensive expression for village beauty. The idea of an attractive rural person is not offensive in western culture.

Last edited:
You are right Charlie. But at the end of the day, words like "peasant" and "townie" can be found in English. The former is usually used to refer to an uneducated person from rural areas. The latter is used to refer to someone who knows nothing about life in rural areas. Both terms are more or less offensive.

You are right Charlie. But at the end of the day, words like "peasant" and "townie" can be found in English. The former is usually used to refer to an uneducated person from rural areas.

We don't call people peasants in the US. We only use the word to discuss, say, a character in a Tolstoy novel.

The latter is used to refer to someone who knows nothing about life in rural areas.

In the US, a townie is a local resident of a small college town. It's descriptive, not perjorative. Like most words, whether it's rude depends on the context:

- Rude: That townie Bob is a real jerk.

- Not rude: I was talking to a townie today, and he says the summer festival here is a lot of fun.

Both terms are more or less offensive.

I can't speak for other countries. In the US, neither is offensive.
We have lots of rude words for country and city people. But peasant and townie aren't rude.

But we're out in the weeds now. So let's get back to your original question. You want a rude term for beautiful young country women.

And here's the good news: I've finally thought an expression that isn't used much anymore: farmer's daughter. It's an outdated sexist stereotype. But it is the expression you're looking for.

Mission accomplished!

Last edited:
And here's the good news: I've finally thought an expression that isn't used much anymore: farmer's daughter.

"Milkmaid" is arguably another term that fits the bill. Consider the following quotations from COCA:

"The dewy-eyed little milkmaid got a little too close. That's all."
". . . it leaves skin looking dewy, like a pastoral milkmaid."
"Esther Block was blond as a Bavarian milkmaid and easily sixty pounds overweight, . . . ."
"There really was something of the milkmaid about her."
"I could barely bring myself to speak to a milkmaid for fear she would jeer at me."
"You mean you swapped me for a milkmaid?"
"There he chanced upon a beautiful milkmaid. Ow. Hi, there, missy."
"They prayed to this divine milkmaid under a variety of names, including Birthgiver . . . ."

And here's the good news: I've finally thought an expression that isn't used much anymore: farmer's daughter. It's an outdated sexist stereotype. But it is the expression you're looking for.

Mission accomplished!

Wow! I can't believe it! It really fits the bill!

The farmer's daughter is a term for a stock character and stereotype in fiction for the daughter of a farmer, who is often portrayed as a desirable and naïve young woman.

"Milkmaid" is arguably another term that fits the bill. Consider the following quotations from COCA:

"The dewy-eyed little milkmaid got a little too close. That's all."
". . . it leaves skin looking dewy, like a pastoral milkmaid."
"Esther Block was blond as a Bavarian milkmaid and easily sixty pounds overweight, . . . ."
"There really was something of the milkmaid about her."
"I could barely bring myself to speak to a milkmaid for fear she would jeer at me."
"You mean you swapped me for a milkmaid?"
"There he chanced upon a beautiful milkmaid. Ow. Hi, there, missy."
"They prayed to this divine milkmaid under a variety of names, including Birthgiver . . . ."

Where can I find quotes from COCA? It appears to be a very useful archive.

It needs an account. I couldn't find a page for registration.

That's strange. I don't have an account. When I click on that link, it brings up a page with a blank box and a search button on the left, and a pink box with "NOT LOGGED IN" on the right. That's correct - I'm not logged in because I've never registered.

That's strange. I don't have an account. When I click on that link, it brings up a page with a blank box and a search button on the left, and a pink box with "NOT LOGGED IN" on the right. That's correct - I'm not logged in because I've never registered.

Can you perform a search without an account?

I can see the website but I can't perform a search.

Yes. I typed a random word in the empty box, hit Search and up came the results.

Be careful around those farmer's daughters or you'll end up in a shotgun wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back