Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Should it be "for a year" or "one year"?
"They live together for a year."

Should it be "for a year" or "for one year"?
"They live together for a year."
Either can work, but I wonder if you really meant to use the present simple. What kind of context do you intend to use that sentence in?

Either can work, but I wonder if you really meant to use the present simple. What kind of context do you intend to use that sentence in?

No, I am going to use "They have been living for a year" or "They have lived for a year." If I am not mistaken both are correct.

No, I am going to use "They have been living for a year" or "They have lived for a year." If I am not mistaken, both are correct.
Now by omitting "together", you've changed the meaning completely! ;-)

No, I am going to use "They have been living together for a year" or "They have lived together for a year." If I am not mistaken, both are correct.

See above. When you ask us questions like these, please give us the actual sentence you plan to use. It made no sense to ask us about the present simple if you weren't planning to use it.

Now by omitting "together", you've changed the meaning completely! ;-)

Oh, I omitted it by chance. I mean "They have been living together for a year" or "They have lived together for a year." Are both correct if I am not wrong.

See above. When you ask us questions like these, please give us the actual sentence you plan to use. It made no sense to ask us about the present simple if you weren't planning to use it.

I am not going to use it after reading teechar's answer. I was actually going to use present simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back