Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Ahoy all!
I have a sentence here: "The country was partitioned, and in the general confusion that was caused, millions of closest friends, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives and sweethearts had got separated from each other.", and I'm curious why did the author use the past perfect form of the verb get in this part "had got separated" while it's describing things happened after the event of partitioning the country, and the main purpose of the past perfect tense is to emphasize that something in the past occured before some other event. So was it a grammatical mistake or I haven't grasped something about the past perfect tense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would delete two things from the text. One of them would be the "had" in "had got separated".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Ahoy all! [/STRIKE] Unnatural and unnecessary

I have a query about this sentence [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE]:

"The country was partitioned, and in the general confusion that [STRIKE]was caused,[/STRIKE] ensued, millions of [STRIKE]closest[/STRIKE] close friends, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives and sweethearts [STRIKE]had got[/STRIKE] were separated from each other." [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE]

I'm curious about why [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] the author used the past perfect form of the verb "get" in [STRIKE]this part[/STRIKE] "had got separated" while it's describing things that happened after the [STRIKE]event of[/STRIKE] partitioning of the country. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] I think that the main purpose of the past perfect tense is to emphasize that something in the past occurred before some other event. So was it a grammatical mistake or have I not [STRIKE]haven't[/STRIKE] grasped something about the past perfect tense?

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please pay close attention to ems's corrections.

:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Because the answer is likely to be in the next sentence. "They had got separated". Then something happened.
"They had got separated" is not good, but that's another point.

Status
Not open for further replies.