Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He has a mini-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

The way I take it "to have a crush on someone" means to fall in love.

Last edited:
"He has a mnin-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

I have no idea what a "min" or "mnin" crush is. When we say somebody has a "crush" on another person, it means that they have some amorous feelings toward them.

I have no idea what a "min" or "mnin" crush is. When we say somebody has a "crush" on another person, it means that they have some amorous feelings toward them.

Sorry! A typo. Mini

"He has a mini-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

:up: - sort of. But it's usually an adolescent feeling that couldn't possibly be fulfilled or even requited - like a first-year student for a sixth former or teacher.

b

:up: - sort of. But it's usually an adolescent feeling that couldn't possibly be fulfilled or even requited - like a first-year student for a sixth former or teacher.

b

BobK, I agree that is one use. But people often use it with people of similar ages too, where it could plausibly turn into a more serious relationship. I think it is more common in American English, though.

It's more like 'experience a strong feeling of love/infatuation, that usually doesn't last for long'. A mini-crush presumably means either that it's not all that strong, or that it will last a particularly short time, or both.

BobK, I agree that is one use. But people often use it with people of similar ages too, where it could plausibly turn into a more serious relationship. I think it is more common in American English, though.
In Br Eng - or at least the range of dialects I usually meet - it refers either to someone of school age or to someone who's old enough to know better ;-). So if an adult says of a colleague 'I think he's got a bit of a crush on the new boss' it's quite demeaning of the feeling (in a not particularly hostile way - it's just belittling it a bit) ; and the colleague would be less likely to have a crush on someone at the same level in the work hierarchy.

b

Reactions: 5jj
the colleague would be less likely to have a crush on someone at the same level in the work hierarchy.

b

Less likely, but possible, especially if the person at the same level in the work hierarchy is at a higher level in some other area - looks, dress sense, money, connections, for example

:up: It's not a hard and fast thing. It just implies some sort of inferior/superior relation in any realm, as you say. ;-)

b

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back