Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there a name for a restaurant that serves tea in "American English"? I found "tea room" but it's only used in British English.

If you want to have tea with your lunch, would you say this? Let's go to a restaurant that serves tea.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there a name for a restaurant that serves tea in no quotation marks here American English no quotation marks here ? I found "tea room" but it's only used in British English.

If you want to have tea with your lunch, would you say this? Let's go to a restaurant that serves tea.

I don't understand what you mean by having tea with your lunch. In that context, I take "lunch" to be a meal and "tea" to be a drink. That's not what a "tea room" is even in British English. A tea room is somewhere that serves afternoon tea - pot of tea, sandwiches and/or cake. In that context, "tea" is the name of the meal, more specifically "afternoon tea". It doesn't just serve tea as a drink.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you mean the drink, you can expect all British and American restaurants to serve tea.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In my country, restaurants don't serve tea or alcoholic beverages. You can only expect fake Coca Cola!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Iranian restaurants in the UK that I have been to serve tea, but not alcohol. I cannot attest to the integrity of the Coca Cola as I don't drink it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure someone who lives in the USA will be able to tell you, but in the UK, almost any establishment serving food and/or drink will offer tea - even pubs!

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Is there a name for a restaurant that serves tea in "American English"? I found "tea room" but it's only used in British English.

I am not a teacher.

I think the word you're looking for is 'Tea House'.
It is quite prevalent in Asia. It has the same principle as a café or coffee shop but they focus more on tea.
They probably have more options on types of tea compared to coffee and you can enjoy some simple dishes concurrently.

Hope this helps.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you mean the drink, you can expect all British and American restaurants to serve tea.

To be precise, all (or nearly all) restaurants in the States have "tea" on their menus. What the beverage they serve is is another matter. (Hardly any American restaurants can make a drinkable cup of tea.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

To be fair, though, if you order tea in much of the USA you will likely get a miserable little metal pot of hot (or warmish) water with a teabag on the side.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And your choice of teas will be a generic black tea or maybe an herbal tea of some sort to act as the "decaf" option.

Serious tea drinkers would carry their own and just use the restaurant's hot water.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
an herbal tea

For the benefit of learners, the use of "an" before "herbal" is specific to AmE. In the UK, we always pronounce the "h" so it is preceded by "a".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All American restaurants serve tea.

The big snag is in the South, where iced tea is called sweet tea and is only served with sugar in it. Yuck! And come to think of it, I've been in Indian restaurants herethat only serve hot tea sweetened. Lucky their food is so good!

Some trendy neighborhoods have so-callled tea shops and tea rooms that serve tea, but oddly enough, it's not usually very good.

We have lots of coffee shops, but the meaning of the term is different from place to place. In New York City, it's a diner. In most places, it's a place that specializes in coffee. That's where you go for a mocha latte grande, for instance.

(By the way, when I say diner, I'm using this Merriam Webster definition of an American diner: "a typically small, informal, and inexpensive restaurant that has an extensive menu . . . .")

Likewise, the word cafe has different meanings in different parts of the country. In the east, it's a bistro or a casually fancy restaurant. In the west, it's a diner.

And as I recall, the Pacific Northwest is full of espresso bars. You can imagine what goes on there.

And that's as much as I can think of on the subject, as I sit here sipping a hot cup of organic Assam — unsweetened, of course!

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've been in Indian restaurants herethat only serve hot tea sweetened.

Tea is the unofficial national beverage of India. Tea stalls abound throughout the country. The tea is always served with milk and sugar and in tiny cups. It is very concentrated. That's why the cups are small. It has a jolt like espresso. They boil their tea with the milk and sugar for ages so every iota of tannin and caffeine is extracted. It's so cheap everyone can afford it. The current price is twelve rupees a cup.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
FYI, at the current exchange rates,12 rupees = 12 UK pence or 16 US cents.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
FYI, at the current exchange rates,12 rupees = 12 UK pence or 16 US cents.

Ha! I can get 210 bags of Yorkshire Tea from my local supermarket for just £4.50.

That works out at about 2.142p or (2.136 rupees) per delicious, thirst-quenching cup.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know they grew tea there.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a name for a restaurant that serves tea in [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]American English[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]? I found "tea room" but it's only used in British English.

And — oops! I didn't answer your original question because the other comments were so interesting.

No, it's not natural. It's like saying, "Let's go to a restaurant that serves food." They all serve food, and they all serve tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.