Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
My veterinary friend wrote on his facebook this: An animal owner called me and asked "why didn't my cat eat his food today, he only ate the sauce of the food but not the solid part" After a 20-minute telephone conversation and a deep inquiry, we learnt that her husband gave the food 1 hour ago, and the cat is as full as tick.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My veterinary friend wrote the following on his facebook ​page: [STRIKE]this:[/STRIKE]

An animal owner called me and asked "Why didn't my cat eat his food today? He only ate the sauce of the food but not the solid part." After a 20-minute telephone conversation and [STRIKE]a deep inquiry[/STRIKE] further questioning, we learnt that her husband [STRIKE]gave[/STRIKE] had put the the food down [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE] an hour ago, and the cat [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was as full as tick.

See my changes above. Your title suggested that the paragraph was supposed to be funny. It isn't. I don't understand where the humour is. I also don't understand the logic. What difference does it make what time the food was put down? The phrase "as full as a tick" doesn't exist in BrE.

Nordre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you for your message and editing. Funny part is the animal owner call the veterinary. Why someone calls a vet? Because their animal is sick. In this situation, her cat was only full, it was not a disease. And it takes 20 minutes investigation to understand. (I prefer BrE)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your message and editing. The funny part is the animal owner called the veterinarian. Why ​does someone [STRIKE]calls[/STRIKE] call a vet? Because their animal is sick. In this situation, her cat was only full, it was not [STRIKE]a disease[/STRIKE] sick. And it [STRIKE]takes[/STRIKE] took 20 minutes' investigation to understand. (I prefer BrE)

The animal owner clearly thought that there was something wrong with the cat because it only ate the liquid part of its food. A pet animal being off its food can be indicative of an underlying medical problem.

I think there's a small part of the scenario missing. I now assume that the husband had fed the cat an hour ago and then the other person (the caller) fed him again an hour later. That's why the cat was full. The fact that the cat was given two meals is missing from the story.

Nordre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The humour and logic is we thought it is very complex (a disease) but actually, it is simple (not being hungry).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Logic, yes. Humour, no.

Status