Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
@Tarheel
Thanks for your offer to correct that essay.
Is there any mistake in this paragraph?

From an overall perspective, there are two primary reasons why I have a feeling that taking online course is more beneficial than attending a class in person. Perhaps the cogent reason why people are in favour of this notion is because online course saves money. This is because students do not have to pay for travel. For a particular example, a Vietnamese student taking English lesson does not have to travel a long way to the UK or the US and they can stay in Vietnam instead, which means a huge saving of travelling . A further point in particularly favour of this idea is that students can study anytime. Unlike in the dim and distant past when the Internet was not available, students nowadays can study with other students or meet their online teachers at midnight.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Replace "why I have a feeling that" with "why I think".

Say: "taking online courses" (You are speaking in general terms.)

Try; "People favor online courses because they are cheaper than classroom instruction."

Say: "For example, a Vietnamese student studying English does not have to travel to the UK or the US. Instead, they can stay in Vietnam, saving a considerable amount on travel expenses."

Say: "Also, when you study online you can do it any time that's convenient."

Perhaps: "The internet has made it easier -- much easier -- to get help from other students and online teachers."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@goodboybkk You used some words I rarely if ever use. Hopefully, you noticed what words I DIDN'T use in my suggestions.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
@Tarheel
Thanks for your offer to correct that essay.
Is there any mistake in this paragraph?

From an overall perspective, There two primary main reasons why I have a feeling think that taking online course is more beneficial than attending a classes in person. Perhaps the cogent reason why people are in favour of this notion is because Taking online course saves money. This is because students do not have to pay for travelling. For a particular example, a Vietnamese student taking English lesson learning English does not have to travel a long all the way to the UK or the US and they can but stay remain in Vietnam instead, which means a huge saving of travelling in cost. A further point in particularly favour of this idea is that Secondly, students can study anytime in their own time (and at their own pace). Unlike in the dim and distant past when the internet was not available, students nowadays can study interact with other students or meet their online and teachers at midnight at any time of the day,
See above. When we say "primary reasons" when we have secondary reasons. Cutting out unnecessary words which don't add anything to what you want to say.
What is the title of your essay?

Last edited:

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
See above. When we say "primary reasons" when we have secondary reasons. Cutting out unnecessary words which don't add anything to what you want to say.
What is the title of your essay?
Prompt is "whether online education is better than online one and what your opinion is"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"From an overall perspective" is the kind of thing I call filler. That is, it is words that don't really mean anything. Did I overlook it the first time? Probably not. Also, it's no big deal. And I am typing all of this stuff.
😊

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The prompt is "whether online education is better than online one and what your opinion is".
I don't think that was the prompt. The prompt would be a complete grammatical sentence or question. Please give us the exact words of the prompt.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
The prompt says "Some say that online education is better than in person one however others think otherwise. What is your opinion?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The prompt says "Some say that AN online education is better than AN in person one (comma) however others think otherwise. What is your opinion?"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The prompt says "Some say that online education is better than in person one however others think otherwise. What is your opinion?"
I think "in person education" is less commonly used. You could say "classroom/traditional/offline/physical education".
Unless in an informal context, I would avoid using "one" to refer to something that is referred to earlier.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
One and ones are used in very formal context according to this article.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The prompt says "Some say that online education is better than in-person. one However, others think otherwise. What is your opinion?"
Where did you find that prompt? As you can see above, it contained errors.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You have misunderstood or misinterpreted the article you cited @goodboybkk. It does not justify the way you (mis)used "one".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US "physical education" has a specific meaning, and it doesn't take place in a classroom.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
Where did you find that prompt? As you can see above, it contained errors.
My non-native English teacher gave that prompt. Therefore, it contained errors.
If my english teacher were a native, she would not make an error. That is why she makes errors.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My non-native English teacher gave ME that prompt. Therefore, it contained errors.
If my English teacher were a native, she would not make ANY errorS.
Perhaps: "My non-native English teacher wrote that. That explains the errors."

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My non-native English teacher gave me/us that prompt . Therefore, and unfortunately it contained errors.
If my English teacher were a native English speaker, she would not make an errors. That is why she makes errors.
There are plenty of non-native English-speaking teachers of English who don't make errors. Not being a native speaker isn't a good excuse. That's why "Therefore" wasn't appropriate. If she's teaching you the language, she shouldn't be making the basic errors that were contained in that prompt.
As you can see from my changes above, and from Tarheel's post #17, you made your post far longer than it needed to be.

goodboybkk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Thailand
I am sorry.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@goodboybkk There's no need to apologize. You're fine.