Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
As long as learning is connected with earning, as long as certain jobs can only be reached through exams, so long must we take the examination system seriously. If another ladder to employment were contrived, much so-called education would disappear, and no one be a penny the stupider.

These words are from E. M. Forster.
Please explain the underline. What is meant by penny the stupider.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If private education didn't have such an impact on British life, and we had other paths to professional advancement, then we would suffer no loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As long as learning is connected with earning, as long as certain jobs can only be reached through exams, so long must we take the examination system seriously. If another ladder to employment were contrived, much so-called education would disappear, and no one be a penny the stupider.

[STRIKE]These words are from[/STRIKE] Source: Title of book by E. M. Forster.
Please explain the underlined part. What is meant by "penny the stupider"?

Note my corrections above. We need the full source - the title of the book as well as the author.

Also note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

Last edited:

Nasir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Aspects of novel by E.M. Forster.
I didn’t find the link of the text

This is a complete excerpt from the essay.
After that there is another idea discussed in the essay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster.

I didn’t find [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a link [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to the text.

This is a complete excerpt from the essay. After that, there is another idea discussed in the essay.

Note my corrections above. You must give the complete, exact name of the book. You missed out "the". No one asked you for a link to the text. It's not necessary. I have no idea what the relevance is of your final two sentences. You gave the excerpt in post #1 and Tdol has answered your question.

For future reference, this is how the layout of such a post should look:

Title: the words you are asking us about

In the main body of the post:
The quote (ideally inside quotation marks)
The full source (title of the book and name of author)
Your question

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a playful subversion of the expression 'not a penny the wiser'.

Nasir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Tdol has answered your question.

Tdol gave the general comprehension, that I already have.
I am thankful to him.

I want to know about the underlined phrase specifically.

And I don't think so there is any need to mention the title and the author. Nevertheless I mentioned the author in the first post.

emsr2d2
I have noted all your instructions.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is meant by penny the stupider.

No one would be a penny the stupider means that no one would be any more stupid if they could get certain jobs without the prerequisite of exam-measured education.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And I don't think [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] there is any need to mention the title and the author.

You're wrong. The copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based, are very strict. When you quote someone else's words, you must credit them by providing both the title and the author.

Nasir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
No one would be a penny the stupider means that no one would be any more stupid if they could get certain jobs without the prerequisite of exam-measured education.

Does anyone else agree with it?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Nasir, please click 'Thank' or 'Like' to post #9 to acknowledge that you have read and understood it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many jobs in Forster's time, like the civil service, required people to take exams, and many still do, and these exams favour people from certain backgrounds. Opening the jobs to a wider selection would result in many able people having the chance to succeed.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

These words are from E. M. Forster.
Please explain the underline. What is meant by penny the stupider.
Does anyone else agree with it?

Normally, nowadays, we're used to finding adverbial "the" only in "the older the wiser" construction and its variants, in which one adverbial "the" ties in with another.

In slightly older English, however, adverbial "the" was found before comparative words even outside that construction. This is the case in the Forster example.

In order to interpret sentences in which adverbial "the" introduces a comparative term, you need to look at the context and find what it relates to. For example:

He answered grammar questions all day, and he was not a penny the richer.

In that sentence, the "the" in "the richer" is adverbial "the." In order to interpret it, you need to look at the context. It relates to the first independent clause.

Without adverbial "the," the second independent clause would bear no overt connection to the first. The two facts would be represented as independently holding.

With adverbial "the," however, the meaning is clear: he was not a penny richer for having answered grammar questions all day.

In my interpretation of the Forster example, I did not consult my minimal knowledge of British history. I looked at the context and grasped the sentence meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.