Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have written this essay for fun. I would like to make it sound more natural and idiomatic. Could you please help me?

I have no ideas how to term different shades of blue. “Blue”, an all-inclusive term, itself is enough.

I am the messenger of the blue ocean. I have on a white hemp string of white cowrie shells around my neck. It is an amulet against any impurity and evil. I am here to impart to the mankind the quality of magnanimity. When you feel your heart is troubled by someone, try to envisage the vast expanse of sunny ocean in front of you, try to listen for the soothing crash of wave against the rocky shore and try to look far off into the horizon where the sky meets the ocean. All are blue in gradations. You worries and grudge is nothing compared to the stately ocean. You are feeling small and you know you are only a passer-by on the earth.

I used to be blind to color combinations. After I learnt some color theories in the textbooks, I decided to throw those books away because I had found a true master of the colors, the blue sky. The azure sky is a canvas on a sunny day where wispy clouds drip, dab and merge here and there or fluffy clouds are arbitrarily splashed to form a changing pattern of blue and white. On a rainy day, a undulating of dark gray clouds cover the sky, reminding me of the cool color tone.

Blue is also another way to say melancholy. I love indulging myself in sentiments. As if life hadn’t endowed me with the enough sorrows a mortal deserves, I am always seeking this poetic feeling by myself by listening to moving songs and reading heart-wrenching romantic novels. The feeling of sadness, unlike joys which always linger over the surface, can reach down to my soul, touch it and stir it. That is probably why blue has a meaning of sadness because the sadness is as deep as the blue. I feel satisfied at exactly the moment when a current of sadness passes through my body and I am one the verge of weeping and shivering. Every pore of my body opens up to the blue energy, ready to release in one burst of crying. But I just hold back the tears to hover myself in the threshold as long as possible. I love the sensation of this state and am addicted to it.

When I was at college, I started to appreciate how colorful and elaborate those Nepalese jackets were made. But when I began working full-time after graduation. I realized I couldn’t wear those dazzling jackets at the workplace. Then blue came to my rescue. Two-button denim jacket, jeans, button down oxford shirt and a white leather pair of shoes reinvigorated my outfit in a formal business setting. Blue, albeit a seemingly dull color itself, goes powerful when it is combined with white. As the jacket fits closely with my body, my muscular body shows through the V neck.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the second sentence, try:

I have a necklace of white cowrie shells on a white hemp string.

Or:

I am wearing a necklace of white cowrie shells on a white hemp string.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For the second sentence, try:

I have a necklace of white cowrie shells on a white hemp string.

Or:

I am wearing a necklace of white cowrie shells on a white hemp string.

[FONT=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol]Thanks for your help, Tarheel. I am writing to thank you before I could find my like button. [/FONT]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll look at it every once in a while. But in the meantime I am critiquing Bassim's latest story. So it will be some time before I finish.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'll look at it every once in a while. But in the meantime I am critiquing Bassim's latest story. So it will be some time before I finish.

Take your time. It is very nice of you to help us. Thanks so much.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest:

It is an amulet to ward off evil.

And:

I am here to impart to mankind....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

When you feel your heart troubled by someone or something, envisage the vast expanse of sunny ocean in front of you, listen for the soothing sound of waves splashing onto shore, and look off far into the horizon where the sky meets the ocean.

:cool:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"All are blue in gradations."

All? The sky. The ocean. What else?

Say:

Your worries and grudges are nothing compared to the vast ocean.

And, perhaps:

You feel small, and you know you are only a visitor here on Earth.

:-D

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"All are blue in gradations."

All? The sky. The ocean. What else?

Say:

Your worries and grudges are nothing compared to the vast ocean.

And, perhaps:

You feel small, and you know you are only a visitor here on Earth.

Thanks for your feedback, very helpful. Yes, essentially the ocean and the sky.

I like this. A visitor here on earth. :up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't use "all" for two things. True, the sky and the ocean are different shades of blue and there is a lot of it (blue, that is). But of course we usually take it for granted. The sky is all around us. It is a substance (air) that does surround us.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I looked up azure. it's a much darker color than either the sky or the ocean.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Try:

As if life hadn't endowed me with enough sorrows, I am always seeking this poetic feeling for myself by listening to moving songs and reading heart-wrenching novels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

on the verge

And:

ready to be released

And:

stay on the threshold

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fourth paragraph.

Try:

When I was in college I began to appreciate how those colorful and elaborate Nepalese jackets are made.

And:

Blue...is powerful combined with white.

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.