A question about Gerund form like words which are really not nouns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraham_

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Turkey
I was reading my King James Bible that I have found some words which look like Gerunds but they really are not, at least they don't make sense when they get turned to Gerund( noun ) take a look at these examples!
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

An there are many example of word like these,many!At first I thought they might be Adverbial clauses which have reduces subject, helping verbs and changes verb to -ING FORM, which some of they are pretty likely to be such as
Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily
It sounds like it was like this >> Then Joseph her husband, because he was a just man and didn't want to make here a public example,....
Or maybe its Being because it just have the responsibility to accompany an adjective form of phrase which didn't have sentence from. But yet its not clear.

What these gerund like words really are? They cannot be noun, that doesn't make any sense for me, maybe because Im not native speaker Im not understanding something here!
Any Idea or help would be really nice,thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please try not to use such a wide variety of fonts and font sizes in your posts. It makes them hard to read. If you must "copy/cut and paste", once you have finished typing your post, highlight all the text and remove the formatting by clicking on the icon that looks like two "A"s, with a red "x". It's the second icon from the left in the toolbar. Then hit the post button.

Status
Not open for further replies.