Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it easy to read high level novels for English natives?

When I say high level I mean 10, 11, 12 level scores by Lexile measure. For example I found many archaic vocabulary in the "Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne that I think majority of English native don't know their meaning.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@MEHRANQ Please click on "Edit" and make the following corrections to your post:

1. Remove the capital letter from the beginning of common nouns (except at the start of a sentence).
2. Capitalise the first word of every new sentence.
3. Capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun) every time it appears.
4. Capitalise all proper nouns (for example, the names of languages).
5. Look very carefully at your spelling. There are some very basic errors. It's probably a good idea to install an English spell-checker on your browser.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To answer your question @MEHRANQ, yes it is easy. We may run across an occasional word we aren't familiar with, but then it's quick and easy to consult a dictionary. Even better than a single dictionary is onelook.com, a compendium of dictionaries that learners should bookmark.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't entirely agree with probus. I think many native speakers have difficulties with 'high level' books and indeed anything written more than a century ago. I use a dictionary every day, but I suspect that most people never consult one.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
**much archaic vocabulary
**the majority of native English-speakers

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it easy for native English speakers to read high-level novels? for English natives?

When I say high level, I mean 10, 11, 12 level scores by using the Lexile measure. For example, I found many a lot of archaic vocabulary in "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne that and I think the majority of native English native speakers don't know their meaning wouldn't understand it.
Note my corrections above.

"Vocabulary" is an uncountable noun so you can't use "many" before it.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A good example is fain. It occurs at least three times in the Scarlet Letter as part of the phrase would fain, meaning would gladly.