Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I had a problem with a question from the following reading, from "The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2015". Please help and explain it to me. I will appreciate any help.

Reading:

When Jamaican-born social activist Marcus Garvey came to the United States in 1916, he arrived at precisely the right historical moment. What made the moment right was the return of African American soldiers from the First World War in 1918, which created an ideal constituency for someone with Garvey’s message of unity, pride, and improved conditions for African American communities.

Hoping to participate in the traditional American ethos of individual success, many African American people entered the armed forces with enthusiasm, only to find themselves segregated from white troops and subjected to numerous indignities. They returned to a United States that was as segregated as it had been before the war. Considering similar experiences, anthropologist Anthony F. C. Wallace has argued that when a perceptible gap arises between a culture’s expectations and the reality of that culture, the resulting tension can inspire a revitalization movement: an organized, conscious effort to construct a culture that fulfills long-standing expectations.

Some scholars have argued that Garvey created the consciousness from which he built, in the 1920s, the largest revitalization movement in African American history. But such an argument only tends to obscure the consciousness of identity, strength, and sense of history that already existed in the African American community. Garvey did not create this consciousness; rather, he gave this consciousness its political expression.

Question:
16. It can be inferred from the passage that the “scholars” mentioned in line 24 believe which of the following to be true?
(A) Revitalization resulted from the political activism of returning African American soldiers following the First World War.
(B) Marcus Garvey had to change a number of prevailing attitudes in order for his mass movement to find a foothold in the United States.
(C) The prevailing sensibility of the African American community provided the foundation of Marcus Garvey’s political appeal.
(D) Marcus Garvey hoped to revitalize consciousness of cultural and historical identity in the African American community.
(E) The goal of the mass movement that Marcus Garvey helped bring into being was to build on the pride and unity among African Americans.

Answer:
I checked E and after reading the author's explanation I convinced that E is wrong. In fact B is true but I am not convinced. Although the author said: "According to the passage, the scholars believe that Garvey created the
consciousness that led to his revitalization movement. This suggests that he had to change prevailing attitudes in order to foster this new consciousness.", I think that it is wrong because we cannot understand from any part of the reading that Marcus Garvey has changed a number of prevailing attitudes. He had tried very much but the reading does not speak about changing attitudes. So, I think B have information which is not in the reading and is wrong too.

Am I wrong? Thanks for your helps.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Can you edit your post to highlight the line 24 you refer to please?

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am sorry. I colored, red, the mentioned "scholars", which was the first of line 24. Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I agree with you that B is incorrect because, as you say, there is no mention of changing the prevailing attitudes in the passage.
I actually think the best answer is D.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks, but I think D is wrong too, because reading says: "scholars have argued that Garvey created the consciousness from which he built, in the 1920s, the largest revitalization movement" but D says: "Marcus Garvey hoped to revitalize consciousness of cultural". So, reading says that scholars think Garvey has done that and D says he hope to done it. So, D is wrong too. Am I wrong?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You are not wrong, but I still think D is a better answer than the others.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The question goes: "It can be inferred from the passage ..."
The inference that attitudes had to be changed doesn't have to be explicitly mentioned in the passage in order to infer it. If it were stated blatantly, there would be nothing to infer.
The scholars believed two things: i) Garvey created the consciousness, and ii) this resulted in a large revitalisation movement.
I would infer from these two beliefs that Garvey had to change a number of prevailing attitudes, especially when the alternative mentioned is that the attitudes were already in the community. B and D can both be inferred from the passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.